Often times, it is right in our kitchens that we find some of the best medicines for the most stubborn health conditions that inflict our body. Two such spices that can be tremendously healing for many ailments and preventive for many other diseases are ginger and turmeric. And what better way to consume these two magic drugs other than making tea out of them? We elaborate on how you can make and use this common house hold remedy, the turmeric and ginger tea in this article. Give it a read before you try it out.
What is a Turmeric and Ginger Tea?
A turmeric ginger tea isn’t as complicated as it sounds. It is a tea made out of turmeric and ginger and that’s about it. It can be made at home and used for the immense healing effects that it has got. Both of these spices are commonly used kitchen spices nearly all over the world. This makes them easily available and thereby this wonder remedy is just within your reach no matter where you live.
What Makes A Turmeric Ginger Tea Good for Health?
A tea made out of the herbs turmeric and ginger can show its wonderful benefits as a result of all the chemicals that they are made out of. These chemicals that occur in abundance in this tea are responsible for the many health benefits that it usually shows. Together, they are found to be rich in :
- Curcumins (The main chemical compound present in Turmeric)
- Gingerols (The main chemical compound present in Ginger)
What Are The Benefits of a Turmeric Ginger Tea?
Both turmeric and ginger are extremely useful spices with a host of benefits to each of them in healing many conditions and ailments that affect the body. Together, these are some of the benefits that they can give us among all of the numerous other benefits.
Increases Immunity – The natural disease fighting ability of the body is increased with both turmeric as well as ginger due to the high amount of anti-oxidants that are present in them. This makes you less liable to catching the infections that are seasonal or regional.
Anti-inflammatory – The inflammations of the walls of many of the organs of the body which lead to various problems can be soothed with this tea. Allergies and auto immune disorders can be healed as well.
Heals sinusitis and other headaches – Migraines and sinusitis headaches can be healed almost instantly when you drink this tea as it soothes the inner lining of the face and the head and clears cavities that get filled with fluids leading to these headaches.
Keeps the digestive tract healthy – Digestive health issues which can be quite a menace are healed effectively by the regular consumption of the tea. It keeps the bacteria in check and controls the acid-alkaline balance in the stomach.
Keeps the skin shiny and healthy – Turmeric and ginger tea can also enhance the health of your skin. It keeps it clean, clear and shiny working against any possible skin conditions that you could have. It can therefore be a part of your beauty regimen as well.
Protects the health of the heart – Regular consumption of the turmeric and ginger tea is also known to clear the blockages in your arteries eventually and thereby keep the heart healthy.
Keeps diabetic people healthy – Turmeric and ginger can keep the blood sugar levels in control and can therefore be a good means of keeping up their health for diabetics. It can also keep people who are likely to get diabetes from getting it sooner.
Promotes mental health – This tea is known to reduce the levels of anxiety, depression and other mental health issues by restoring the levels of hormones that boost happiness and the nervous system in general bringing about relaxation.
How to make the turmeric ginger tea
Making a ginger turmeric tea can be done with much ease right at home. Amateurs can make it too, with all the right ingredients and a few minutes to spare. We show you two of the most commonly followed recipes for making this tea. Along with that, we also have a recipe for making an iced version of this tea.
Turmeric-ginger tea recipe 1
This is one of the most commonly followed recipes to make this turmeric and ginger tea at home. It can be done in a few simple steps. All you have to do is make sure that the turmeric and the ginger that you get are pure and unadulterated, and of a good, organic quality. We also add honey in this recipe to make it more palatable to the tongue with added benefits of the honey. You can in fact, make this tea every single day to see a whole lot of changes in your body.
- Turmeric : Half a teaspoon
- Ginger : a teaspoon-full of grated ginger
- Honey : two teaspoons
- Take the water and bring it to boil.
- Add the ginger to it and continue with the boiling for a while.
- After a while, add the turmeric powder and continue with the heating.
- Add the honey to it just before you would remove it from the stove.
- Make sure the honey and turmeric are completely dissolved in it and that the ginger becomes soft.
- Strain this tea and drink it.
- You can drink a cup or two of this tea every day for quick results against any ailment.
Turmeric-ginger tea recipe 2
In many cases, a pre-made ginger paste works better as we get to ingest the ginger as whole without straining any of it. In this recipe for turmeric ginger tea, we show you how to make ginger paste and then add the turmeric to it later on. We add honey in this recipe as well so as to make it sweeter and This process is slightly more elaborate than the earlier recipe but isn’t all that difficult either. Here’s how you make this.
- Ginger paste : 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric : Half a teaspoon
- Honey : one teaspoon
Making the ginger paste:
- Grate ginger into thin pieces.
- Grind it into a smooth paste by adding water.
Making the turmeric ginger tea:
- Take the water and bring it to boil.
- Add the ginger paste to it and continue with the boiling.
- Add turmeric to it and boil it further more.
- Make sure that the ginger paste as well as the turmeric are dissolved in the water.
- After you are done, add honey to it and strain it.
- This procedure makes sure that the ginger is consumed as a whole.
- You can drink this tea two to three times a day for good results.
Turmeric and Ginger Iced Tea Recipe
Making an iced-tea with turmeric and ginger works well in showing all of the benefits as well. This, however, is a lengthy process and needs you to make a jelly that you can store many days before you can use it. We add lemon and honey to this recipe to make it easier to consume as they add to the taste and for their health benefits as well. It can be done in this simple process.
Making the turmeric-ginger, tea jelly:
- Take some ginger pieces and lemon pieces which have been cut finely into a jar and add honey to it.
- Let this jar stay in a refrigerator this way for a few days.
- This makes a jelly like substance out of this mixture eventually.
Making the iced tea:
- All you have to do to make the iced tea is take a few spoons of this jelly into a glass, add water (or soda) and some ice cubes into it.
- Upon shaking it well and drinking it, we get all the benefits of a regular hot turmeric ginger tea nearly.
- You can also add this jelly to hot water and thereby make a hot turmeric and ginger tea as an alternative.
This iced tea can be consumed every day and can be quite a bit healing. However, the hot tea can be a little more effective in comparison, especially if you are using the tea to soothe colds, flu, sinusitis or a sore throat. We’d recommend that you use the iced version of this tea during hot summers as a soothing and cooling drink.
Side Effects of Turmeric Ginger Tea And Precautions We Should Take
Ginger and turmeric are both natural ingredients and yet, are very strong spices. It is therefore likely that they can have some side effects, although it is rare. It is always better to keep these precautions in mind so that the side effects possible when you make your turmeric ginger tea can be avoided.
- Consuming way too much of the ginger and turmeric tea can cause an excessive acidic imbalance in the stomach due to the strength of the spices. It is therefore recommended that you stick to two to three cups of this per day.
- If you are particularly allergic to ginger or turmeric, you should avoid consuming the tea, especially without consulting your physician first.
- If you happen to be under treatment of diseases with some drugs or herbs, you should check for incompatibility issues of those treatment methods with ginger or turmeric so that any adverse effects can be avoided.
- If you notice any uncomfortable side effects due to consumption of the turmeric ginger tea, you should stop and continue using it only after your physician confirms that there is no harm.
As long as all the precautionary measures are taken and over-use is avoided, turmeric ginger tea is one of the best natural remedial drinks that you can include in your diet. Do try out our recipes and let us know of how they’ve healed you!
Table of Contents