Hair coloring is a technique which is prominently used to change the natural color of one’s hair. This experimentation is popular amidst young girls especially college goers. Prominent reasons for this attempt are: covering up of grey or white hair strands; Fashion statement; and restoration of original hair colors due to the malfunctioning during hairdressing processes or sun bleaching.
Hair colors are available widely in different shades, ranging from burgundy, brown, and move up to vibrant colors like violet , orange, and so on. Application is a quick and a simpler process than its removal. Below are some DIY hair color removal techniques that can be performed at the comfort of your home and will not affect your pockets much.
Most suitable methods with less hassle and damage are:
10 Ways to Remove Hair Color from Hair Naturally at Home
Anti-dandruff shampoo + Baking soda
Baking soda is a natural and effective cleansing agent, most suitably used for stain removal. Anti-dandruff shampoos are heavy duty shampoos whose active constituent “selenium sulphide” is known to fade the hair. Here’s how this combination can be used for hair color removal:
How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda and Anti-dandruff shampoo
- Equal measures of Anti-dandruff shampoo and baking soda needs to be taken in a bowl or on the palms. Mix it thoroughly for an even distribution.
- Apply it on a wet hair scalp.
- Leave it for few minutes and then rinse with warm water.
A point to be pondered is that this a gradual process and will not work for immediate results. This technique needs to be reperformed till desired results are obtained.
Vitamin C is the most safest hair color removal technique. The acidic nature of this constituent works by oxidizing the dye, which breaks the dye molecules initiating the fading process.
How to Remove Hair Dye Using with vitamin c
- Crush Vitamin C tablets and mix it with warm water to make a paste.
- Apply this composition to the wet hair for better absorption.
- Take a break for an hour before you rinse your hair with hot water.
- Shampoo and condition it as normally and rinse.
- Repeat the procedure for a couple (2-3) of times till most of the color is removed.
Disclaimer: This technique works well only on semi-permanent colors and should be applied within three days of color application.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
This technique works best with plain white vinegar than apple cider as the latter is less acidic in nature. The action of this component is similar to vitamin C, its acidic nature helps to rip off the dye from the hair with minimal damage as most of the hair colors cannot withstand acidic substances.
Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Dye Removal
- Douse your hair with equal portions of vinegar and warm water.
- Cover and let it stand for 15-20 minutes, before rinsing.
- This process can be repeated several times.
Hot oil Massage
This is an effective and a natural process which not only helps in the removal of the dye but also nourishes the hair follicles. The common oils used for hot air massages are coconut and castor oil, but all essential oils yield positive results.
Hot Oils To Remove Hair Colour Naturally
- Massage hot oil evenly on hair roots and tips.
- Wrap the hair in a clean towel and take an hour break.
- Rinse with hot water.
Some less common followed procedures are:
Baking soda+ Lemon juice
A combination of baking soda and lemon juice is an effective method to fade the hair dye naturally. The citric acid in lemon juice naturally lightens the hair color. But one point to be kept in mind while using lemon juice is the stand time, as leaving this application for a long time can make your hair very dry.
How to Remove Hair Color With Lemon Juice and Baking Soda
- Take a bowl and add equivalent measures of baking soda and lemon juice.
- Apply on the hair and leave it for a few minutes and rinse immediately with lukewarm water.
Dishwashing soap+ shampoo
Dishwashing soap is also a gentle ingredient which can be used to remove the color. Gives a good result for semi- permanent hair colors when used in combination with regular shampoo and also with vitamin c tablets.
How to Use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and Shampoo for Lightening Hair
- In a small container take 4-5 drops of dishwashing liquid and mix it with a quarter sized amount of regular shampoo.
- Apply this mixture after wetting your hair for better penetration and leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat for two to three washes and follow up the last rinse with a deep conditioning , preferably hot oil or a heated dryer can also be used.
Note: Dishwashing soap will strip of the natural oils from the hair leaving your hair unmoistened, so be sure to rinse your completely. Do not repeat this technique more than once if you already have a frizzy hair as it can prove to be very harsh to the hair.
This component gives fruitful results on dark hair colors and is a prominent compound used for bleaching in the spas.
How To Use Hair Hydrogen Peroxide Bleach To Lighten Dyed Hair
- Make a mixture of equal compositions of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Administer it on your hair with the help of a sprayer and cover your hair with a shower cap in order to avoid the liquid from dripping out.
- Leave it for thirty minutes and rinse it with cold water and apply a conditioner.
Epsom salt+ baking soda
Epsom salt is a natural occurring mineral compound of magnesium and sulphate. Known widely as a natural remedy for many ailments. The concoction of Epsom salt and baking soda works best on semi-permanent dyes. This is a very elegant method where in this composition can be used only to soak your hair or can also be added to the bath to yield good results.
Natural laundry detergents without bleach are also useful for hair color removal. The high contents of chemicals in them is just helpful to wash the color off from the hair, after care is very important while employing this technique as chemicals in it can leave your hair dry and frizzy.
- Take one teaspoon of the detergent and make a paste with warm water.
- Apply this paste and allow it to stand for few minutes and rinse.
In most cases the chlorine in the water available at home is not ample for fading the color on your hair. If you want a quick result for hair color removal go for a swim in a pool nearby, this will help in reducing the color on your hair at a faster process, as the chlorinated water is effective in breaking the color molecules. But always remember over exposure will result in dull , dry and brittle hairs.
Heat any form will shorten the life span of the dye. In order to increase the fading process let your hair out under the sun.
Elimination of hair color is a tough job that needs a lot of patience. The chemicals and procedures can have harmful effects on the hair, so after care treatment has a pivotal role. Selection of hair color removal technique is crucial, utmost care should be taken as it may have a long term effect. It’s always better to do a strip or strand test for a hair color removal to avoid blunders.