Our short and sweet answer to that is – yes!
Oil pulling has really picked up in the last decade or so thanks to a heightened interest in natural and alternative forms of treatment. Where Allopathy was the go-to recourse for all health issues, big or small, for people even until a decade ago, in recent times there has been a steady crop of folks that are going back to tried-and-tested methods of the ancients for their medical dilemmas.
One such method that has gained immense popularity off late is Oil Pulling. Based on ancient Ayurvedic texts – a 5000 year old Indian system of treatment that seeks to create harmony between the body, mind and soul for good health – oil pulling is a process where you swish oils around in your mouth for a set amount of time to get rid of harmful toxins and microorganisms that plague your system. But while oil pulling is traditionally carried out with sesame, sunflower or coconut oil, the use of olive oil for this purpose is fast picking up, too.
Let us see why. But first –
Why Is There Such A Buzz Around Oil Pulling?
According to Ayurveda, oil pulling should be a key component of everyone’s general health routine because as the gateway to the body and its first line of defence, the mouth hosts a lot of microorganisms and toxins, which can greatly harm an individual if they were to find their way in.
Thus, oil pulling works as an antimicrobial wash by removing deadly microorganisms from inside your mouth while also eliminating poisonous toxins giving you a thorough detox. It helps clean your teeth and gums, remove stains, whiten and brighten your teeth, eliminate bad breath, prevent dental plaque, heal gum inflammation and so much more.
But the good stuff doesn’t end here.
As a system of balance and harmony, Ayurveda maintains that the tongue is intrinsically linked to each part of the body – be it the heart, lungs, kidneys, intestines etc – and hence, the first step towards taking care of these unseen parts of your body starts with taking care of the mouth. In fact, recent studies into the effect of oil pulling have found it to have a positive impact on the curing of nearly 30 systemic diseases including asthma and heart problems.
Effects Of Different Oils On Oil Pulling
Now, though all oils may be considered equally good in maintaining the health of your mouth, based on their personal needs, most people tend to have a favourite. And so starting with sesame and sunflower oil, a variety of oils are now being championed around as the number one oil to pull with so as to derive maximum benefit.
But here’s a pro tip – every oil is a winner here.
Chemistry 101 tells us that despite having a common base chemical composition, most oils differ from each other by way of their chemical structure. For the purposes of this article, let us take the example of olive oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil contains saturated fat in the form of medium-chain fatty acids and has lauric acid which is a known antimicrobial agent and thus, is effective in killing the germs in your mouth. Apart from this, lauric acid is also good for the health of your thyroid and adrenal glands which is why oil pulling with coconut oil is recommended in the case of users with hormonal imbalance problems.
Olive oil, on the other hand, is rich in monounsaturated fats which are what make it a choice oil for people suffering from heart disease. It has been proven to reduce cholesterol levels in the body thereby, reducing the risk of heart disease. This factor coupled with its own antimicrobial properties make it a strong alternative to the other traditionally used oils.
To put it simply, oil pulling with olive oil has all the following benefits –
- Teeth Whitening
- Strengthening of Teeth and Gums
- Prevention of Cavities
- Prevention of Tooth Decay
- Prevention of Dental Plaque
- Detoxification of the Body By Eliminating Heavy Metals From The System
- Removal of Bad Breath
- Prevention of Heart Disease
- Lowering of Cholesterol Levels
- Clearing of Sinus Blockages
- Treating Asthma
- Prevention of Oral Thrush
DISCLAIMER: No natural remedy, oil pulling included, should ever replace your regular healthcare routine. To be used as an adjunct only.
How To Do An Olive Oil Pull
You Will Need-
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Warm Saline Water
- Paper bag
How To Do-
- On an empty stomach, take one tablespoon full of cold pressed olive oil in the mouth. Take care to not swallow the same.
- Swish the oil around in the mouth for 20 minutes. This will allow the oil to break the films of plaque and start acting on the cell walls of the micro-organisms. Take care to not go beyond the prescribed 20 minutes however, as the body might start re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria being eliminated.
- As you swish the oil around in your mouth you will find that the oil gets thicker and almost milk-like in consistency. Fret not, this is an indication that the oil pulling technique is working!
- At the end of twenty minutes, spit the oil out into a paper bag or in the trash. Avoid spitting directly into the sink as the oil may clog your pipes. Swallowing the oil must be strictly avoided as well as the pulled oil contains toxins and bacteria that you don’t want to get inside your system.
- Rinse the mouth with warm saline water. At this point, finger brushing your teeth should be preferred over using a toothbrush and paste.
Try this routine once every two-three days, or even everyday if you wish, for best results. And let us know how It worked out for you, we’ll be waiting to hear!
Table of Contents