No matter if you’d like to use synthetic cosmetics on a daily basis or not, a body wash is something that we must use every day. We should therefore choose the right body wash for us – one that does not harm the skin, one that keeps the skin healthy and radiant. Using a home-made, natural body wash is one of the best means to keeping the skin healthy without exposing skin to harmful chemicals. It isn’t difficult to make these body washes as well, as long as you can get all the ingredients. We show you five such simple body washes made with natural ingredients you can make by yourself at home.
What Are The Ingredients Usually Used for Making Body-Washes
Making a body wash will usually need these these ingredients:
- A base
- A main ingredient based on different purposes, i.e, healing, exfoliating, anti-septic, moisturizing etc.
- Liquid soap
- Fragrance adding substances like essential oils
The base holds the body wash and helps in moisturizing as well. Shea butter, gels like aloe vera, honey and other viscous substances. The main ingredient will serve the actual purpose of the body wash and it could be ingredients like oatmeal for scrubbing, neem for its antiseptic purposes etc. Castile liquid soap is the soap that we use for the cleansing purpose. This is easily available in the market and safe on the skin. An essential oil like lavender oil, rose oil and tea tree oil can be used for adding fragrance as well as for their other uses.
5 Homemade Body Wash Recipes
Out of the many body washes that can be made with various ingredients that suit various purposes, we show you how you can make five body washes with some easily found ingredients using simple procedures.
Coconut milk + oatmeal for cleansing
A natural body wash recipe that has all the benefits of an oil like coconut oil and yet is not oil-based is this recipe which is made out of coconut milk instead. Coconut milk can be highly moisturizing and cleansing for the skin when we use it in the form of a body wash. We also use oatmeal in this body wash for its scrubbing action which makes it exfoliating in nature. Adding few drops of essential oil can add a fragrance to the soap. It is made in the following simple procedure.
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Liquid castile soap – ¾ cup
- Oatmeal – ½ cup
- Essential oil – few drops
- Extract coconut milk by grinding and straining coconuts.
- To one cup of this coconut milk, add 3/4th cup of liquid castile soap.
- Mix the two of them well such that there is form.
- Add the oatmeal to it and mix it well.
- In the end, we add a few drops of essential oil like lavender oil to add some nice scent to it.
- Mix them all up carefully and use it as an exfoliating, cleansing body wash.
Citrus Body Wash
Citrus fruits are highly useful when used both externally as well as internally. When used on the skin, due to their anti-oxidant nature, they can help in keeping the skin healthy and disease free. Along with that, they can also cleanse the skin thoroughly. We use citrus oils in this body wash (oils that are extracted from lemons, oranges or other citrus fruits). Using castile soap as the soap base, shea butter is used as the actual base of the body wash. Here is how you make this simple body wash at home.
- Citrus oils : a few teaspoons
- Shea butter : two cups
- Liquid castile soap : one cup
- Take the shea butter (2 cups) and mix it with the castile soap (1 cup).
- See to it that the two of them are blended thoroughly with the production of a little bit of lather.
- Add a few teaspoons of citrus oil and mix it thoroughly with the above shea butter and liquid soap.
- Blend all of them and use it as a body wash.
Honey and Almond Oil Moisturizing Body Wash
Honey is one of the most commonly used ingredients for body washes, DIY as well as the ones that are now being made by good brands. The reason for such an extensive usage of honey is easy to see, it fights microbes and keeps the skin healthy while also moisturizing it extensively.
Making a simple honey body wash at home can be easy to use as well as to make. We use almond oil as a Vitamin E and nutrition-rich oil base in this body wash while using liquid castile soap as the soap base. This is how you make it.
- Honey : 2 cups
- Liquid castile soap : 1 cup
- Almond oil : half a cup
- Essential oil : a few drops (optional, for fragrance)
- Mix the honey and the liquid castile soap so that a fine lather is produced.
- Add the almond oil to it and mix all the three of them so that the final mixture is uniform.
- If you’d like, add a few drops of essential oil to it s
- o that there is a good fragrance as well as some additional medicinal properties that are added to the body wash.
- Once all of these are blended well, this body wash is r
eady for use.
Aloe Vera and Neem oil body wash for skin ailments
Often times, the skin is exposed to many microbes, pollution and dust. To keep the skin constantly healthy and protect it from already existing skin diseases, we can make a simple healing and protecting anti-septic body wash at home with the ingredients Neem oil and Aloe Vera. Neem oil has been used in many medicated cosmetics for its powerful antiseptic effects. Aloe vera gel is yet another anti-microbial, healing gel that can be used for sensitive and diseased skin. We use castile soap as the soap yet again in this body wash. Here’s how we make it.
- Aloe vera gel : 1 cup
- Neem oil : 2 teaspoons
- Castile soap : half a cup
- Take the aloe vera gel and add the neem oil to it.
- Mix the two of them thoroughly so that they get blended into each other.
- Now add the liquid soap to this solution and mix all of them well until you a get a layer of fine lather.
- You can now use this body wash.
Exfoliating Sea Salt Body Wash
Sea salt has made its way into many cosmetics lately for the many benefits that it has got on our skin. It can be highly exfoliating removing dead cells as well as dirt and there by keeps the skin clean and clear. It also acts as an anti-septic that can remove any microbes that can be present on the skin.
Using this exfoliating sea salt body wash every day can keep the skin healthy despite a long day outdoors. In this body wash, we use unflavoured gelatin as the base. This a
cts as a gel. In case you don’t get that, using aloe vera gel can work well too.
Along with that, we use castile soap as the soap base. Along with that, we also use Vitamin E oil in this body wash for its moisturizing properties as well as its nourishing properties. Here is how you make this simple body wash.
Ingredients needed :
- Sea salt : A few teaspoons
- One cup : Gelatin (unflavoured)
- ½ Cup : Vitamin E oil
- ½ Cup : Castile soap
- Take the gelatin and mix Vitamin E oil in it thoroughly so that it is uniformly distributed.
- Add the castile soap to it and mix it well.
- Add the sea salt now and mix all the ingredients so that a fine layer of lather is formed.
- Use this everyday as an exfoliating and cleansing body wash.
Precautions to be Followed While Making The Body Washes:
While all the ingredients used in these natural body washes are obtained from natural means, they don’t really have any side-effects. However, you should keep these precautions in mind.
- Make sure that you get a patch test done in a portion of your skin before actually using these body washes just to check if they have any particular side-effects on your skin.
- The ingredients that you get should of a good quality and unadulterated so that they are good for use.
- If you do notice some reactions on your skin on excessive use, consult a dermatologist before you continue using them.
These natural body washes can be made just before the use to retain their freshness. This way, there is also a possibility of them lasting very long. Go on ahead and try out these body wash recipes at home and don’t forget let us know how they worked for you!
Table of Contents