How to Delay Periods for a Week Naturally at Home: Aunty Flo is unpredictable for many women, their appearance can be pre, on time or post the monthly date. Having periods on important or special occasions like marriage, interviews, exams, birthdays can be very disturbing.
The monthly menses are known to make a matron lose focus, uncomfortable, and if it’s painful makes one feel sick. Many people find ways to pause the periods from appearing on that special occasion to enjoy the moments. There are many methods which help to stop, delay or shorten a menstrual cycle.
What are the conventional methods that can be followed to stop or delay periods?
The following tacks help to slow or stop periods for a day
Scientific studies have proved that ingesting ibuprofen can stop or delay menstruation cycles. This tablet has the ability to inhibit the hormone prostaglandin which plays a pivotal role in smoothening the Hymen muscles. The prescribed dosage is three ibuprofen tablet every six hours after a wholesome meal.
Note: Consult a doctor to get the correct dosage prescription as high dosage consumption are seen to cause blood-related ailments like internal bleeding and blood clotting, digestive ailments, breathing difficulties and also enhance an individual to be affected by ulcers.
- Indulging in a sexual act
Sexual acts have been proven to stop periods for a day. During sex, the body fluids are expelled out of the body at a faster rate through orgasmic contractions. This helps one get over Aunty Flo faster. Precautions need to be taken while using this technique as it may result in contraction of STDs for unmarried women.
Note: Studies advise an early morning sex to obtain fruitful outcomes.
- Menstrual cups
A menstrual cup like the tampons is used predominantly to eliminate the escaping of the fluid. A tampon is used to absorb the menstrual blood whereas a period cup just catches it. The cup is generally inserted into the cervix not only helps to hide the periods but also plays a critical role in blocking it. One cup inserted in the cervix can be left without un-disturbed for 12 hours. This not only helps us to concentrate on our jobs but also makes us feel fresh and comfortable.
- Contraceptive pills
This method is suitable for women taking birth control pills. Usually, the hormone pills are taken for three weeks and then placebo pills are taken for a week. The period is seen to kickstart in the fourth week. if a woman wants to stop her periods she needs to skip the placebo pills and continue taking the hormone pills until the day you want to delay menses.
What are the DIY methods that need to be followed to stop Aunty Flo?
- French or Green beans
Consuming French beans on a regular base is known to not only lighten menses but also make it less painful. This is one of the safest home therapies to stop or delay periods.
How to utilize:
- Half boil a cup of freshly chopped beans in water(3 minutes).
- Strain the water completely and allow to stand for the excess water to drain out.
- Add the juice of two full lemons and consume this salad twice a day, till you want to stop the period.
- Consuming this salad on the monthly cycle helps to have a light and comfortable cycle.
- Apple cider vinegar
Consuming two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water three times a day has proven to be an effective option to stop or delay menses. The act by increasing the toxin expulsion thereby reducing the blood flow
Gelatin in the Chinese medicine is used to control excessive bleeding and this effect can be used to stop the blood flow for three hours. Mixing a packet of gelatin in water and drinking it instantly has helped many matrons in dire situations. Consuming gelatin infusion slowly three times a day until the day you wish to halt the periods.
Note: Make sure to start consuming it two days before the expected date to delay periods.
A yesteryear medicine that is used to stop and postpone periods. The acidic nature not only detoxifies the body but its beneficial to stop or cut down the menses flow and help to shed the uterine lining at a fast rate. Chew a piece of lemon or drink lemon juice three times a day three days before the monthly date to stop or cut short your period.
- Mango bark
Mango bark is an important constituent in many organic menstruation problems solving products. This bark is not only very efficient for people with heavy bleeding as they aid in lightening the menstrual flow but also help to halt cycles.
- To a glass of water add 10-15 ml of mango bark extracts.
- Stir for an even solution and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Take one teaspoon of the resultant solution five days prior to the expected date for every three hours and continue taking this till the periods needs to be delayed.
- Indian spikenard or musk root
A yesteryear herb whose oil is used in perfumes and traditional medicines. Predominantly used to control heavy bleeding in women but studies revealed that this also aids to delay periods up to a week.
How to utilize:
- To one glass of lukewarm water mix five drops of muskroot oil and stir well.
- Drink this infusion twice or thrice near your monthly time to stop periods.
- This remedy can be used for seven days to halt periods.
- Angelica roots
Angelica root is known as the female ginseng or Dong Quai that is used to control many menstruation ailments. A yesteryear Chinese traditional medicine used to stop Aunty Flo. They are known for balancing the female hormones and halt periods
- Mix one teaspoon of dried female ginseng in a glass of water.
- Steep the herb in water for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain and consume this tea twice a day to stop periods.
- Painful periods are relieved by consuming this infusion.
Caution: This remedy is not recommended for breastfeeding moms and women who are trying to get pregnant.
- Raspberry leaf tea
Raspberry, a natural powerhouse of vitamins and minerals can be consumed by women to maintain a health. It is safe to consume this even during pregnancy. The astringent property of the leaves helps as a uterine relaxant that aids to lighten or stop periods.
How to utilize:
- Throw a fistful of raspberry leaves in a cup of water.
- Boil the mixture on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Simmer and allow to boil for two additional minutes.
- Allow to cool and strain.
- Drink this decoction two to three times a day prior the monthly time till the day u want to halt Aunty Flo.
Another excellent home remedy to regulate and treat menstruation ailments. The astringent property acts to relax the body. It also soothes the uterus and aids better female health.
- Place a cinnamon stick in a cup of water.
- Steep this solution on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Cool and strain the solution and consume this tea twice a day for two days prior the date to halt periods.
- Licorice root
The roots of licorice increase the imbalances of the hormones aiding to halt menses.
How to apply:
- Take a cup of rice washed water.
- Peel the outer layer of the roots and grind it to a powder.
- To the rice washed water add 3-4 grams of the powder and consume the resultant solution from two days before the expected date to halt periods.
- Shepherd’s Purse
Capsella bursa-pastorisis is commonly known as shepherd’s purse due to its fruits which are triangular in shape. This inexpensive flowering plant helps to alter the cycles due to its anti-hemorrhagic property. Capsella bursa is very effective in controlling heavy bleeding and stopping menstruation earlier.
- Dry the leaves of Capsella bursa-pastoris and grind it into a smooth powder.
- Take two teaspoons of this powder with a glass of water to not only regulate the menses but also to end it early.
- Yarrow plant
The yarrow plant (Achillea millefolium) is a flowering herb with astringent properties. They have the ability to manipulate the female hormones and hence to stop bleeding or postpone cycles.
How to apply:
- To a glass of cold water add five drops of yellow tincture.
- Thoroughly mix the solution and consume it.
- Start taking this solution four to five days prior to the expected date for fruitful outcomes.
- Parsley leaves
Parsley is another cheaply available product that helps to postpone periods. Boil the leaves in a cup of water till the flavor of the leaves gets into the water. Allow to cool and strain and drink this decoction with a spoon of honey twice a day to delay Aunty Flo.
Including carrots in the diet are very effective to delay periods. They can be consumed as such or can be blended into a juice, or can be added to salads.
- Fullers earth
A complete natural treatment used by many women for a radiating and fairer complexion. When this treatment is combined with rose water it is seen to effectively delay the touring of periods.
- Soak 25 grams of Fuller’s earth with some water and let it dry for 3-4 hours.
- Filter the solution and consume the filtrate in equal parts for four continuous days.
- Consume this solution from four days prior to the expected date till the day you want to halt the periods.
- Tamarind pulp
Tamarind plays an effective role in keeping the menses away. Soak 15 grams of tamarind in 250ml of water. Filter the seeds and a pinch of sugar and salt for taste. Drinking this decoction helps to delay periods for quite a few days.
Intaking two bananas followed by a cup of water for breakfast five days prior to the period date delays periods by 2-3 days.
- Refrain from spicy foods
Spicy foods are seen to accelerate the menses cycle. to naturally delay periods avoid binging into spicy foods five days prior the monthly date.
- Avoid heat generating foods
Heat producing foods like basil, papaya, pineapple, eggs or meat are known to prepone Aunty Flo. Eliminating these foods 10-15 days prior to the cycle date helps to delay menses.
- Avoid getting stressed
Stress interferes with the monthly cycle. If affects the hormone levels which either delays or prepones the period. Either way, the periods are unpredictable. Hence reducing stress helps to delay periods.
- Processed lentils
Lentils if consumed regularly not only helps to postpone periods but also helps to control heavy menstrual bleeding and menstruation-related ailments.
How to apply:
- Stir fry the lentils till they turn soft.
- Grind coarsely into a powder.
- Prepare a soup and consume it regularly to delay chums.
- Chia seeds
Soak a teaspoon of chia seeds in a cup of water overnight. Consume this daily on an empty stomach4-5 days before the actual menses day to delay periods.
- Drink plenty of water
Intaking 8-10 glasses of water a day ensures a proper body functioning which inturns have a positive effect on the monthly cycles. They help in getting the regulating the periods. A well-hydrated body doesn’t get an early menses.
Exercising regularly helps to delay periods as they help to decrease the stress by releasing a hormone called as endorphin.
The workouts that help to delay Aunty Flo includes:
- Cardio and aerobics 30 minutes a day.
- Muscle stretching
What are the steps that need to be followed to effectively delay menstruation?
- Always start taking the home remedies 15 days prior to the expected monthly dates as the hormonal changes required to start the cycle begin to happen from the day 14 post the chums. Instant hormonal changes will increase the side effects.
- Delaying periods regularly and for more than a week intensifies the premenstrual syndromes. Following these methods regularly is very harmful to the body.
- The most effective way to delay menses is to take hormonal pills.
Interfering with the natural processes is always a bad idea, but there are some unavoidable situations when we have no other option. In such cases, having a plan and eating the right foods helps to keep periods at bay with fewer side effects.