One of the most common hair conditions – dandruff is no longer all that tough to heal with many anti-dandruff remedies being discovered every day. Using essential oils for dandruff can be one of the most effective natural means to getting completely rid of the condition in a few months’ time. We explore the means to use ten such essential oils for dandruff as well as itchy scalp here, so go on and give it a read before you try them out at home.
What are essential oils and How to Get Rid of Dandruff: 10 Natural Remedies
Essential oils are obtained from plant parts through distillation and have a characteristic odor to them. These essential oils can be used for many purposes for their aroma. Most of the times, we use essential oils to add flavor while cooking and for their unique medicinal properties. Using essential oils for hair and skin has been a norm since the ancient times for their effectiveness. They are also used for dandruff, itchy scalp and scaly scalp conditions for the same reasons. Here is a list of ten of the most useful essential oils for dandruff and how we can use them for our hair.
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most commonly used anti-dandruff oils for its many benefits, easy availability and the ability to show quick results. Obtained from the leaves of tea tree plant, this oil is found in Australia, where the plant belongs to but is grown all over the globe lately. It is used extensively in the form of mouth washes, skin cosmetics and hair cosmetics but can be dangerous when taken internally.
Why should we use tea tree oil for dandruff
Tea tree oil has got the following properties that make it one of the most effective essential oils for dandruff and itchy scalp.
- Anti-septic in nature which kills all the microbes that are dandruff related.
- Terpinen-4-ol, a chemical that is found in the tea tree oil is known for its anti-fungal action and works well against dandruff.
- It has a cleansing action and removes excess sebum and dead cells.
- It’s anti-inflammatory properties are good for an itchy scalp.
How to use tea tree oil for hair
Tea tree oil can be used n a number of ways for the hair against dandruff, a hair mask, hair wash, a conditioner or a tea tree oil shampoo. We elaborate the making of one of these – the tea tree oil shampoo.
Step 1 : Take a natural shampoo or hair wash of your choice.
Step 2 : Add a few teaspoons of tea tree oil to it and mix it well.
Step 3 : Shampoo your hair with it regularly.
2. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil is an essential oil that is got from the shrub of the same name and is used extensively in flavoring food and cosmetics for its aromatic nature. It has also got tremendous medicinal properties that make it a very good essential oil for dandruff and other hair and skin conditions.
Why should we use rosemary oil for dandruff
Rosemary oil has got these properties that can make it great for not just dandruff but other conditions that accompany it like itchy scalp and scaly scalp.
- Anti-oxidant in nature, it does not allow the growth and propagation of fungus that causes dandruff along with removal of dead cells and sebum periodically.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of rosemary oil make it soothing and healing to an itchy and scaly scalp.
- Benefits the scalp by boosting its own immune system that makes it fight against the dandruff by itself.
How to use rosemary oil for hair
Out of the many ways in which we can use rosemary oil for hair we choose to use it in the form of a hair mask with another oil – coconut oil which acts as a vehicle as well as a great anti-dandruff oil by itself. Here is how you use it.
Step 1 : Take some coconut oil into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add a few drops of rosemary oil to it.
Step 3 : Make it lukewarm by heating it slightly.
Step 4 : Apply this oil over your scalp and massage it gently for a while and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 5 : Shampoo your hair.
3. Cedar wood Essential Oil
Cedar oil or cedar wood oil is yet another one of the aromatic essential oils that works great for skin and hair conditions. It is got from a kind of pine trees form the bark, leaves or roots and is known for its healing properties.
Why should we use cedar wood oil for dandruff
Cedar wood oil is used widely for dandruff for the following properties that it shows.
- It is anti-septic or anti-bacterial in nature, meaning that it can stop the growth of the dandruff causing microbes and their spreading out as well.
- It is moisturizing to the scalp and can therefore heal dry and itchy scalp.
- It is cleansing and can be used to clean the scalp of dead skin cells and excessive sebum.
How to use Cedar wood oil for hair
Out of the many ways in which we can use cedar wood oil for hair, we choose to use it as a massage oil with a carrier oil – Olive oil in this case which can not only render the benefits of cedar wood oil for dandruff but also show its own anti-dandruff effects.
Step 1 : Take some olive oil into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add a few teaspoons of cedar wood oil to it.
Step 3 : Heat the two of them ever so lightly so that it gets to a lukewarm temperature.
Step 4 : Apply it all over your scalp and massage it gently for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 5 : Leave it on for a while and wash it off with a shampoo.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
A few species of lavender flowers give this lavender essential oil which is highly aromatic and used in many cosmetics for the same reason. Along with the aroma, it has got many other benefits upon external usage for healing skin and hair conditions.
Why should we use lavender oil for dandruff
Lavender oil is yet another commonly used essential oil for dandruff because of these chemical properties that it has got.
- It is anti-inflammatory in nature, which means that it can heal not just dandruff but other conditions like itchy scalp, scaly scalp and inflammation that are often times a result of dandruff.
- Anti-microbial action of lavender oil makes it a good anti-dandruff oil as it can stop the growth and propagation of the fungus that causes dandruff.
- It has a cleansing action on the scalp which makes it remove the excess dead cells and sebum that result due to dandruff and sometimes also cause dandruff to multiply.
How to use Lavender oil for hair
There are many means in which we can use Lavender essential oil for hair and we look at the use of a lavender hair mask for dandruff with aloe vera gel as the other ingredient and the base.
Step 1 : Take some aloe vera gel into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add a few drops of Lavender oil into the gel and mix it up thoroughly.
Step 3 : Apply this over your scalp and leave it on for about half an hour.
Step 4 : Shampoo your hair or just rinse this mask off of your scalp after the use.
5. Thyme Essential Oil
A herb from the mint family, Thyme has got tremendous benefits for its flavor and healing properties. Thyme oil, an essential oil that is got from Thyme is used for cooking as well as medicinal purposes. One of the most prominent uses of Thyme essential oil is to get rid of dandruff and keep the scalp healthy.
Why should we use thyme oil for dandruff
These are the chemical properties of Thyme oil that make it a good anti-dandruff oil.
- It is an anti-biotic oil which fights against the fungus that causes dandruff and helps in preventing the spreading of it.
- It is healing to the scalp and therefore reduces inflammation, itchiness and redness that sometimes follow dandruff.
- It is nutritious to the hair and thereby helps in making the scalp strong and be able to fight the dandruff and itchy scalp by boosting its immunity.
How to use Thyme oil for hair
There are numerous ways in which we can use Thyme oil for hair so that it renders the best of its benefits against dandruff. We show you how you can use it as a massage oil with a carrier oil, i.e., Almond oil as the base.
Step 1 : Take some Almond oil into a bowl and add a few drops of thyme oil to it.
Step 2 : Heat it lightly so that it is lukewarm.
Step 3 : Apply this over your scalp and massage it gently for about 10 minutes.
Step 4 : Leave it on for a while and shampoo your hair.
6. Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli oil is got from the flowers of the Patchouli plant which, once again, belongs to the mint family. For its aroma, it is often used in cooking and for medicinal purposes. It can be effective in various means for the hair, especially in healing the scalp from dandruff and an itchy scalp.
Why should we use Patchouli oil for dandruff
Patchouli oil has got these properties that make it a great anti-dandruff essential oil.
- It is an astringent with heavy aroma and this means that it cannot allow the growth of microbes and fungus that causes dandruff.
- It is anti-septic by nature which makes it fight against the dandruff causing fungus and its spreading.
- It is an anti-inflammatory agent that is healing by nature and can therefore work against itchy and scaly scalp.
How to use Patchouli oil for hair
Out of the many ways in which we can use Patchouli oil for hair, we use it in the form of a hair mask here with shea butter as the base. This is how you can make this Patchouli oil hair mask for dandruff.
Step 1 : Take some Shea butter into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add a few drops of Patchouli oil to it and mix the two of them well.
Step 3 : Apply this mask all over the hair (including the strands if you’d like) and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
Step 4 : Wash it off with a shampoo after you’re done.
7. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage is yet another commonly found herb that can be used for cooking and healing through its essential oil. It is used for external purposes for many skin and hair conditions, although it has primarily been used for healing psychological conditions.
Why should we use Clary Sage oil for dandruff
These properties of Clary sage oil make it a good anti-dandruff oil.
- It is an anti-fungal compound that makes it fight the fungus that causes and spreads dandruff.
- It is healing for the skin an can rejuvenate the scalp that has been damaged by dandruff and itchy, scaly, scalp.
- Anti-inflammatory in nature, it can reduce the inflammation that sometimes accompanies dandruff.
How to use Clary Sage oil for hair
Making a Clary sage shampoo or conditioner is one of the easiest and most effective means of using Clary sage oil for hair. Here’s how you do that.
Step 1 : Take some of the shampoo that you use regularly on your hair and add a few drops of clary sage oil to it.
Step 2 : Mix it thoroughly with the shampoo and use it on your hair.
Step 3 : Repeat the same thing with your conditioner and use it on your hair after you shampoo.
Step 4 : Using a Clary sage shampoo regularly can help get rid of your dandruff in about two months.
8. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is got from a hybrid plant that is made from spearmint and mint plants and has been used extensively for various medicinal and cosmetic purposes. One of its many uses is against dandruff and itchy scalp for which it is known to be quite a bit effective.
Why should we use Peppermint oil for dandruff
Here are a few reasons why Peppermint oil can be good for removal of dandruff.
- Peppermint oil is a very powerful antiseptic and hence can get rid of the microbes and fungus that causes dandruff and spreads it. It therefore works well against dandruff.
- It is a good cleansing agent that works against itchy and scaly scalp along with dandruff by removing dead cells and excessive sebum.
- It invigorates and rejuvenates the scalp with its powerful aroma and hence can be used to promote not just hair growth but also boost the natural immunity of the hair follicles.
How to use Peppermint oil for hair
Peppermint oil can be used in many ways as an essential oil for dandruff and the most effective means is to use it in the form of a massage oil. Here is how we use it for the hair massage with coconut oil as a carrier oil.
Step 1 : Take some coconut oil into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add a few drops of Peppermint oil into it and mix the two of them well.
Step 3 : Heat this mixture of oils slightly until they become lukewarm.
Step 4 : Apply it over your scalp and massage it gently for 10 minutes.
Step 5 : Leave it on for fifteen minutes before you shampoo your hair.
9. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is got from the rinds of lemons which are cold pressed to extract it. It is highly useful for many skin and hair conditions along with being of use as a relaxing oil for internal use. Using it regularly can work wonders for removing dandruff.
Why should we use Lemon oil for dandruff
The following properties of lemon oil make it an effective anti-dandruff oil.
- It has an exfoliating effect on the scalp and thereby removes the dead skin cells and dandruff flakes that are part of dandruff and scaly scalp conditions.
- It restores oil balance on the scalp by removing the excess sebum that is a result of dandruff and often times causes dandruff.
- It is an anti-oxidant and can therefore boost immunity of the hair follicles. This makes the hair and scalp fight dandruff effectively by using their natural defense mechanisms.
- Its anti-septic nature can work against the fungus and bacteria that cause and spread dandruff at times.
How to use lemon oil for hair
Now that we know why Lemon oil is good for the hair, the big question is how we can use lemon oil for hair. One of the most effective tried and tested methods is to use it in the form of a hair mask where most of its properties can be extracted. We use aloe vera gel as a base in this hair mask.
Step 1 : Take some aloe vera gel into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to the gel.
Step 3 : Mix it well and apply it over the scalp.
Step 4 : Leave it on for about 20 minutes and shampoo your hair.
10. Basil Essential Oil
Basil or tulsi which is yet another one of the most commonly used essential oils for dandruff comes from a variant of the mint family of herbs. It can also be used for cooking and other cosmetic purposes and is mostly notable for its antiseptic nature.
Why should we use Basil oil for dandruff
The properties of basil oil that make it good for dandruff are.
- Its antiseptic nature makes it easy to get rid of dandruff and the dandruff causing fungus easily.
- It is an anti-oxidant which makes it rejuvenating for the scalp along with also boosting the natural immunity of the hair follicles.
- It is anti-inflammatory and relieves the scalp from itching and redness which can result with dandruff.
How to use basil oil for hair
Out of the many ways to use basil oil for hair, using it in the form of a hair mask is quite a bit effective. We show you how to make a Basil oil + Avocado paste hair mask that can be beneficial to the hair in many ways.
Step 1 : Make a paste out of peeled Avocados.
Step 2 : Add a few drops of basil oil into the paste and mix it well.
Step 3 : Apply this paste all over your scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
Step 4 : Wash it off of your hair and shampoo.
Most of these essential oils are devoid of any side effects at all unless you are particularly allergic to them. We recommend, therefore, that you get a patch test done anyway, just to be safe. Try out these easy-to-use essential oils for dandruff and let us know how they have worked for you.
How many time we i use the thyme leave for dandruff..?
Thyme leaf oil is an essential oil which can help you rid your hair of dandruff. If you want to treat dry or oily dandruff, adding a few drops of thyme essential oil to lukewarm almond oil and massaging it into the scalp before each time you wash your hair for 2 to 3 months should give positive results.