Our body requires a balance of all nutrients and minerals to work efficiently. We all have the knowledge of the importance of iron and calcium in body functions, have we ever thought what is the role of magnesium and sulfate in the body? Magnesium is the most profusely found element in the body. It helps the body to control 325 enzyme actions and plays a prominent role in muscle control, nerve impulses, energy production, and detoxification.
Sulfates are pivotal in easing migraines, nutrient absorption, and flushing toxins out of the body. Both of these elements are readily absorbed by the skin. Deficiency of magnesium and sulfate can be overcome by soaking in a bath of magnesium and sulfate-rich Epsom salt, which is one of the simplest ways to get a boost.
Epsom salt as the name goes is not a salt but is a naturally present mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. It is has got its name from a sour saline spring in Surrey, England. It finds its usability in a variety of industries like health, beauty, and agriculture.
Amazing Epsom Salt Health Benefits and Uses
Epsom salt is a wonder ingredient which is a complete body mind and soul soother. The is a laundry list for Epsom salt usage in day to day life. Some of the pivotal benefits are:
- Stress reliever and body relaxer.
- Constipation relaxant.
- Pain and inflammation reducer.
- Blood sugar regulator.
- Hair volumizer.
- Magnesium level booster.
- Controls the blood pressure.
- Relaxes the nervous system.
- Skin problems aider.
- Back and limb aches soothers.
- Reduces the discomforts of muscle cramps.
- Nasal congestion comforter.
- Cold and flu ally.
- Itching abettor.
- Stimulates the gut.
- Helps to have a sound sleep.
- Heart and circulatory health improver.
- Reduces blood clot and artery hardening.
- Improves the use of oxygen by the body.
Epsom Salt Bath and Health Assistance
Epsom salt is a yesteryear natural remedy used to cure many diseases as they not only have the natural ability to flush harmful toxins from the body but also maintain the mineral and sulfur balance in the body.
- Splinters removal
Splinter is a fragment of large objects like metal, wood, glass, and plastic materials that are lodged in the tissue. These materials are difficult to remove if the foreign body is too large but smaller pieces can be easily withdrawn with the aid of Epsom salt.
How to apply:
- Soaking the affected skin area in an Epsom salt bath with warm water.
- Make a compress by dipping a cotton cloth in cold water mixed with two tablespoons of the salt per cup.
- Create a paste by mixing one teaspoon of salt in 200ml of hot water until it dissolves.
- Chill the solution in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Apply the paste after cleaning and pat dry the skin.
- Athletes foot relaxant
Athletes foot is a contagious skin ailment caused by ringworm which usually affects the skin on the feet and spreads to the toenails and hands. Soaking the infected foot in Epsom salt bath provides an effective outcome.
- Toenail fungus treatment
A nail fungus leaves the nail brittle thick and ragged. Mostly affects people with diabetes, weaker immune system and a family with infection history. Athletes are more prone to these infections as their feet are their shoes are warm and sweaty mostly which nourishes the growth of fungus. Soaking the affected toes in hot water mixed with a handful of Epsom salt thrice a day soothes the infection.
- Sprain and bruises soother
A sprain is caused due to ligament damage which occurs due to appropriate joint movement like the twisted ankle. When the skin is exposed to a hard flow which results in the blood vessels breakage leads to a bruise or blue coloration. Epsom is beneficial in reducing the pain suffered due to sprains and also stops the bleeding helping to comfort from bruises. Soaking the affected body part in Epsom water bath comforts the pain.
- Gout discomfort easer
Gout is a type of arthritis that usually swells up one joint suddenly. Soaking the affected joint in comfortable Epsom salt hot water bath for 30 minutes gives a relief.
- Itchy skin, sunburn and insect bite adjuvant
Dissolve one tablespoon in half cup of cold water and transfer the mixture to a spray bottle and spritz on the skin.
- Heel spur treatment
A heel spur is a deposition of calcium under the heel that is displaced from the foot bone. They can be very painful at times. Epsom salt is very effective in healing the inflammation and pain associated with the spur. Soaking the affected foot in a warm bath with the salt helps to reduce the discomfort.
- Toxin flushing from the gallbladder
The gallbladder is a critical organ which aids in a healthy body. Gallbladder ailments commonly affecting an individual are poor deposition of fat, leaky gut syndrome, and pain in the bladder. Epsom salt helps to comfort the bladder by relaxing the bile duct. This works when one tablespoon of the salt is dissolved in eight ounces of water and taken on empty stomach.
- Relaxes cancer patients
Liver detoxification is a very critical procedure for cancerous patients as they are overloaded with toxic chemotherapy drugs. Epsom salt baths are beneficial to the liver detoxification process due to the sulfur concentration in the salt which plays a critical role in toxin binding and flushing.
Beauty Benefits of Epsom Salts
Epsom salt is a prominent constituent in most of the beauty products as they are easily absorbed by the skin and like other salts do not dehydrate the skin leaves the skin soft and fluffy.
- Dead skin exfoliator
Epsom salt helps to not only remove the rough patchy skin but also softens it. This is an expensive treatment followed in the spas which can be done in the comfort of home spending little. While taking a shower mix a handful of the salt with a tablespoon olive oil or bath and rub all over the wet skin and rinse thoroughly.
- Face Wash
To cleanse your face and exfoliate the skin at the same time mix half teaspoon of the salt with your deep pore cleanser, gently massage on the skin, rinse and pat dry.
- Blackheads remover
Blackheads are tiny bumps that appear on the skin due to clogged hair follicles. They usually are mild acne seen on the face but can also be present on the other upper body parts like back, chest, and shoulders. To half a cup of boiling water add three drops of iodine and a half teaspoon of Epsom salt. Apply this mixture to blackheads with the help of a cotton ball.
- Hairspray removal
A hair essential used in by individuals to secure hairstyles. They leave the hair frizzy. Combine one gallon of water with one cup each of Epsom salt and lime juice, cover and leave it for 24 hours. Use this mixture on the dry hair and allow to stand for 20 minutes before normal shampooing.
- Hair volume increaser
Epsom salt gets rid of the excess oil on the hair which weighs the hair down leaving it flat. A homemade volumizer can be created by mixing equal proportions of Epsom salt and conditioner. Apply and leave it for twenty minutes before rinsing the hair. A weekly treatment with this mixture increases the hair volume efficiently.
- Oily hair treatment
Epsom salt is known to increase the blood circulation which vitalizes the hair scalp. This salt in combination with other hair products is effective in the oily hair treatment.
How to apply:
- Take two tablespoons of Epsom salt and add it to a bottle of cleansing shampoo. Shake the bottle thoroughly for even distribution.
- Wet the hair and add quarter size dosage of the resultant mixture and massage the hair especially the root scalp.
- Rinse well with warm water and repeat the process for two times for maximum benefits.
- The Epsom salt shampoo combination the first wash removes the dead cells and oil from the scalp. Shampooing the second time helps in the magnesium sulfate absorption by the scalp leaving it soft and fresh.
Where to Look for Epsom Salts?
Epsom salts are usually available in most of the drug stores and will not affect your pockets much. Choose a high grade pure pharmaceutical salt for maximum benefits. Storage of Epsom salt is critical for a long shelf life. To prevent it from becoming compacted store at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
How to Make a Bathtub with Epsom Salt?
The bath procedure is time-consuming as a minimum of 40 minutes soaking in the tub is essential for fruitful benefits. During the first half of the time the detoxification process takes place and in the next half, mineral absorption is initiated.
Bath preparation process
- Fill the bath with warm water free of hazardous constituents like chlorine, fluorides, dioxins, or heavy metals.
- Add Epsom salt to the water for standardly sized bathtubs as according to the individual recommended dosage.
- Soak yourself for a minimum of 12 minutes for a soothing experience thrice a week.
Suggested Epsom salt doses
- Children weighing under 30 kilograms- Half cup of salt needs to be added.
- Body weight of 30-50 kilograms- one cup for a standard sized tub.
- Body weight of 50- 70 kilograms- One and a half cup of salt in aqua.
- Body weight of 90 plus- Use a half cup of Epsom salt for every 25 kilograms of body weight.
Pointers to Increase The Epsom Salt Bath Benefits
- Olive oil + Epsom salt
The polyphenols present in olive oil makes it an excellent antioxidant which is easily absorbed by the skin. Addition of half cup of olive oil to the bathtub provides fruitful outcomes.
Note: Oil makes the area slippery be precautious to avoid mishaps.
- Spices + Epsom salt baths
Condiments like ginger and cayenne pepper, when added to the bath, accelerate the detoxification process by alleviating the body temperature which promotes more sweating. Addition of one tablespoon to a half cup of the spices to flush harmful toxins effectively.
- Epsom salt + Sea salt + Baking soda + Apple cider vinegar + Essential oil bath
This combination of constituents when added to the bath aids in detoxification, soothing skin irritations and boosts the magnesium levels in the body, which helps the body to de-stress from a busy routine.
How to apply:
- – To 200ml of boiling water add 1/4 cup each of Epsom salt, sea salt, and baking soda and set aside. Add this infusion with 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar and 10 drops of essential oil to the warm water bath tub.
- – Soak in for a minimum of 30 minutes for maximum benefits.
- Epsom salt + Bentonite clay+ Essential oils (optional)
An Epsom salt bath with clay is efficient in toxin removal as the clay binds to heavy metals and the salt aids in flushing of toxins and magnesium level replenishment.
How to utilize:
Dissolve the half cup of each of Epsom salt and bentonite clay and essential oils if desired to a warm or hot water tub. There are two ways in which the clay can be dissolved:
- Vigorously mix the clay in a glass cup of water to avoid clumps. Use a plastic spoon for this process. Pour this infusion into the bathtub and soak for 20 minutes.
- Make a paste of the clay. apply it as a mask throughout the body and stand for five minutes or still, the mask dries out and soak in the tub for a minimum of 20 minutes. Use a washcloth or a scrub to remove the remaining clay from the skin.
- Epsom salt + Hydrogen peroxide + Ginger powder bath
Dried ginger is very effective in treating body aches and congestion. This detox bath helps to relieve skin irritations.
Fill the tub with hot or warm water and dissolve a half cup of Epsom salt, two cups of hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of ginger powder. Soak in the bath for a minimum of 30 minutes or as long as desired.
- Epsom salt + Essential oils+ lemon zest bath
This combination of Epsom salt and essential oil turns the bath into a luxury spa treatment. The essential oils promote relaxation and enhance the healing process. Use 10 drops of any desired essential oil to the bath but the recommended ones are lavender and peppermint oils. Rosemary helps to improve the memory, digestion and relieves, muscle aches.
- Epsom salt + castor oil bath
This bath is commonly called a tonic bath cleanse as the castor oil accelerates to flush deep toxic sludge out of the body. Apply castor oil all over the body and stand for 15-30 minutes. Soak in am Epsom salt water tub for 20 minutes. This bath improves the overoil health of the body.
- Ascorbic acid + Epsom salt bath
In addition to improving the immune system, vitamin C/ ascorbic acid plays a critical role in reducing the chemical content of water, thereby improving the water quality. Increasing the beneficial effects of an Epsom salt bath.
- Coconut oil + Epsom salt bath
Coconut oil is the best natural moisturizer, with antimicrobial, anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties. When used in combination with Epsom salt this provides a relaxing, detoxifying, and moisturizing bath which leaves you feeling fresh and relaxing.
- Epsom salt + Eucalyptus oil + Lavender essential oil
Eucalyptus oil is a yesteryear medicine used to treat many ailments. When used in an Epsom salt bath with essential oil it aids to relieve itchy, dry winter skin with cold problems.
Safeguard Measures To Be Followed:
- Stick to the doses recommended on the pack or as instructed by the physician.
- Magnesium sulfate taken orally reduces the absorption of other medications especially antibiotics. Avoid taking other medications two hours before or after taking the magnesium sulfate combination orally.
- Rectal bleeding or discomforts in bowel movements is a sign to stop the laxative intake and consult the doctor as soon as possible.
- Renal failure patients need to be cautious while using magnesium rich salts as the kidneys play a critical role in magnesium processing and this can increase the toxicity which can be life-threatening.
- Magnesium sulfate is used to treat eclampsia conditions in pregnant women, but Epsom salt usage is generally not advised for pregnant and nursing women, consulting a physician before initiation is a priority.
Some of the Common Side Effects Seen Are:
- Moderate gastrointestinal sufferings
- Lower body or abdomen cramping.
- Loose stools.
- Over dosage of magnesium sulfate may be an serious issue if the below symptoms are noticed
- Tendon weakness or paralysis.
- Irregular heart rate.
- Extreme drowsiness.
- Excess sweating
Major side effects of Epsom salt usage is a rare site if strictly adhered to the recommended dosage. It’s always a wise call to check with your family doctor for any questions and health concerns.
Table of Contents
- 1 Amazing Epsom Salt Health Benefits and Uses
- 2 Epsom Salt Bath and Health Assistance
- 3 Beauty Benefits of Epsom Salts
- 4 Where to Look for Epsom Salts?
- 5 How to Make a Bathtub with Epsom Salt?
- 6 Pointers to Increase The Epsom Salt Bath Benefits
- 7 Safeguard Measures To Be Followed:
- 8 Some of the Common Side Effects Seen Are: