Coconut oil equals to great hair and this is no secret! One of the most widely used hair-care oil for rendering a ton of benefits for the hair is coconut oil. This is probably using coconut oil for hair has been a practice nearly all over the world for a very very long time.
Coconut oil isn’t just great for the hair – it’s good for the skin, for the body and other purposes such as cooking as well. But one of the best uses that it can render is on the hair. So how do we put coconut oil to its best use for the hair? We have ten great coconut oil hair masks that can work in multiple ways on your hair. Go on ahead and check them out!
What are the uses of coconut oil for hair?
Although it is evident what all coconut oil can do to our tresses, we make a list of some of the most common benefits that it can give to your hair upon prolonged and regular usage.
Moisturizing – Freeing hair of frizz and excessive dryness, coconut oil imparts great moisture to the hair. This eradicates all the problems that dry hair can cause make your scalp healthy and hair smooth.
Nourishing – Coconut oil has got many nutrients loaded in it and hence it can be used in making your hair follicles healthy and strong. Vitamins, minerals and proteins that it has got keep the health of your hair and scalp.
Anti-microbial – The strong anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties of coconut oil can make it great for eradicating any microbes that might be attacking your hair and scalp and causing havoc.
Anti-dandruff – One of the major uses of coconut oil is the fact that it can fight dandruff. Used along with other ingredients such as neem and some essential oils, it can be more effective for the purpose.
Prevents hair loss – Alopecia, which happens to be a common problem that affects the population at a large lately can be prevented to a certain extent by using coconut oil regularly.
Along with these uses, there are plenty other uses it can give our hair – it makes the hair shiny, it conditions the hair, it can leave you feeling relaxed and do a lot more things.
Components present in coconut oil
What makes coconut oil so good for the hair? It turns out that the components that it has got are the reason behind all the benefits it can give your hair. These are some of them.
Fatty acids such as Lauric acid – Being an oil, coconut oil is loaded with fatty acids, the primary one being Lauric acid. It is these fatty acids that make it a good moisturizer for the hair and keep it shiny.
Vitamin K – Vitamin K is one of the essential elements for hair that helps keep the hair thick, prevents graying and the improves blood flow at the hair follicles.
Vitamin E – This is a major vitamin that is essential for hair growth and is found in abundance in coconut oil. It keeps the hair healthy and shiny.
10 DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask Recipes for Damaged Hair
Coconut oil can be applied all by itself to show plenty of benefits on the hair. It is normally used as a massage oil pre-shampooing. Using it along with other healing herbs and oils gives us ten coconut oil hair mask recipes which are simple to make. Each of these hair masks has a specific as well as many other general benefits to it.
Coconut oil and Almond oil hair mask
Coconut oil and Almond oil are almost similar in composition except that there are some additional fatty acids that Almond oil has got. When applied together to the hair, the benefits are naturally two-fold in adding nutrition, nourishment and health to the hair.
They can make the hair healthier and thicker from the roots on regular use. Coconut oil and almond oil also act as great conditioners when used before you wash your hair to make hair look sheeny, shiny, soft and lustrous. Here’s a way in which you can use them both together for the purpose.
- Take a few spoons of coconut oil and a few spoons of almond oil.
- Mix them both together and heat them ever so slightly.
- After they are lukewarm, apply the mixture of oils to the hair from the roots to the tips.
- Massage it gently for a while and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with a shampoo that’s made out of mild and natural substances post this.
- Using these oils this way two to three times a week can make your hair look and feel great eventually.
Coconut oil for dandruff with Tea tree oil + Neem leaf paste
Using coconut oil for dandruff is one of the best uses it can be put to. This recipe of neem leaves and tea tree oil which are strong anti-dandruff and anti-bacterial agents when added to coconut oil can be one of the quickest ways to eliminate dandruff off of your hair.
Neem leaves are a widely used natural anti-microbial agents which can work great and quick against dandruff. Tea tree oil, known for its astringency can also work in eliminating dandruff with just a few drops.
In addition, your hair gets stronger and nutritious as well. Here’s how you put these three to use for the purpose.
- Take some coconut oil and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Heat it slightly so that the mixture of oils is warm.
- Make a smooth paste of neem leaves and add it to the mixture of these oils.
- Apply this paste all over the scalp and the strands of your hair and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with a shampoo post that.
- In cases of severe dandruff, we’d recommend that you make time to use this remedy thrice a week and then eventually make it twice or once a week for healthy hair.
Coconut oil and Shea butter conditioning mask for dry hair
Often times, we wonder how we can use coconut oil for dry hair in eradicating the dryness of the scalp and the hair. We’ve got a recipe that might be of help – a combination of coconut oil and shea butter as a conditioner for your hair.
While you use this recipe as a pre-wash conditioner, you may or may not shampoo later on. The ideal time to use this conditioner would be before a big night out when you want the frizz of your hair to go down and have your hair looking soft. Here’s a way in which you can use this conditioner.
- Take some shea butter – about a cup of it.
- Add some coconut oil (say a spoon) of it to this shea butter.
- Apply this paste from the roots to the tips of your hair.
- Leave it on for a while and wash your hair with water or shampoo it with a very mild shampoo.
Coconut oil and Thyme oil for hair growth
To use coconut oil for hair growth – faster and thicker, we blend it with one of the most widely used hair growth oils – thyme oil. The thyme essential oil works in helping the blood circulate at the hair follicles making them healthier.
Together, coconut oil and thyme oil can be great for promotion of hair growth and increasing the nutrition at the base of the hair so that it can get thicker. They also condition the hair when we use them for a massage before washing or shampooing the hair. Here’s how we use them for this purpose.
- Take some coconut oil in a bowl and add a few drops of thyme oil to it (as it can be strong).
- Heat them slightly so that they get warm.
- While this mixture of oils is still warm, apply it to the scalp through to the ends and massage it gently for a while.
- Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes and shampoo your hair once you are done.
Coconut oil, Egg and Honey
To put coconut oil to its best conditioning use, mixing it with other great natural conditioners is a great method. We therefore use this mixture of honey and egg along with coconut oil for conditioning hair and making it soft and lustrous.
Although the three ingredients are seemingly tough to be mixed up and used together, it can be done with ease and here are the simple steps you follow for the purpose.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it so that it is warm.
- Break an egg in this and whisk the mixture of two well so that it is blended well.
- Add a spoon or two of honey to them and make sure it is all uniform.
- Apply this mixture to the strands of your hair mostly as we use it for conditioning.
- Shampoo your hair with a mild, natural shampoo post that to get your hair to look great.
Coconut oil and Onion juice
Onion juice is one of the less-used wonder remedies for hair which works well in many areas. One of them is covering up your greys and making your hair grow faster. Thanks to its astringency, onion juice also works in fighting most of the scalp diseases.
Mixing it up with coconut oil can make it work great on hair enhancing the effects and also working against the possible drying effects of onion juice for dry hair. It might be difficult to get them to mix up to uniformity but it can be done by the application of some heat.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it.
- Add the onion juice (of about the same amount) to it and mix the two of them while hot so that they form a foamy liquid.
- Apply this to your scalp and the strands of your hair and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off and then shampoo your hair.
- Using this recipe twice a week is a great way to strengthen your hair and make it grow faster.
Coconut oil and Lavender oil mask
Lavender oil is one of those essential oils that is used on the hair for many of its benefits such as hair growth and scalp health. We use it with a base oil such as coconut oil which not only acts as a vehicle but also enhances the effect of this mask in making the hair and scalp healthier.
Lavender oil is also used as a stress-buster. And therefore, to use this mixture of massage oils as a therapy for stress or anxiety in addition to nutrition is a good idea as well. Here’s how that is done.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it so that it is slightly warm.
- Add a few drops of Lavender oil to it and mix the two of them well.
- Apply this over your scalp and the strands and massage gently for a while.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes and then wash it off before you shampoo.
- Using this oil massage therapy each time you shampoo can work in making your hair a lot better.
Coconut oil and Aloe vera
Aloe vera’s multiple uses for the hair – as a conditioning agent, anti-dandruff, nourishing gel have been known for quite some time now. Using it together with coconut oil is a great way to extract the benefits of both of them for the hair.
Coconut oil and aloe vera can together make the hair smooth hydrating as well as oiling it at the same time. It is a great combination to fight scalp diseases or dandruff as well.
Since mixing a gel and oil is not easy, we use heat in this hair growth recipe. Here’s the entire procedure of use of the coconut oil and aloe vera gel mask
- Take some coconut oil and heat it so that it is not way too hot but just hot enough to mix with the gel.
- Now add the aloe gel to it and mix the two of them together by whisking it thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture over your scalp and over the strands of your hair through their length.
- Wash it off after 20 minutes and then shampoo after that.
- Putting your hair through this routine two to three times can leave your hair lustrous and smooth.
Coconut oil and Lemon for dandruff
Lemon is yet another popular ingredient that is used for the hair for its anti-dandruff effects. Using it along with coconut oil which in itself is a great anti-dandruff agent can be an enhancement to both the natural ingredients.
Lemon juice usually dries up the hair and cleanses out the oil and hence using it along with coconut oil can be great for people with dry and frizzy hair who would like to use lemon on their hair. It can also lighten the hair upon excess use, so using it limitedly is advisable. Here’s a simple method in which you can use lemon and coconut oil together.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it so that it is warm.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to it while it is hot and make sure that the two of them get mixed thoroughly, if needed, by the use of external pressure (Such as a whisker).
- Now rub this mixture over your scalp and the strands of your hair gently and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- After you are done, wash your hair or shampoo it.
- Using this remedy once a week should do the trick in clearing out your dandruff as well as in keeping your hair healthy.
Coconut oil and Camphor oil
Camphor is a less known ingredient that can in fact bestow some great benefits on your hair. As the hair gets weak from lack of nourishment or exposure to pollution, it tends to get damaged and that’s when camphor can be of great use in repairing all the damage.
We use coconut and camphor oils together so that they can work in reparation and growth of the hair. Coconut oil can also work in moisturizing and nourishing the hair in this case along with being a vehicle for camphor oil which we use in minute amounts. Here’s a guide to using these two oils together.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it slightly so that it is warm.
- Add a spoon or less of camphor oil to it and mix the two oils well.
- Now apply this mixture of oils on your scalp and all over the strands.
- Massage gently and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off and shampoo with a mild shampoo after a while.
- Using this reparation remedy twice a week can keep your hair strong and healthy.
Using coconut oil does not have any side effects unless you are particularly allergic to it which is also a rare case. However, we would suggest that you use them limitedly and if possible after you take the advice of the hair expert that knows your hair well. Do try these masks out and let our readers know if they worked for you!
Table of Contents