Psoriasis, one of the most prevalent skin conditions with a very unsure fate can be healed to a good extent by using home remedies. Since it is an auto immune condition, while the results from the natural remedies for Psoriasis can atleast pacify the symptoms, if not completely wipe it out.
And then, who knows, with a persistent use of the right home remedies, Psoriasis may well be healed over time. Coconut oil is one of the most simple remedies we can think of and yet, can be surprisingly efficient in healing Psoriasis and its symptoms. We’ve piled up multiple ways in which you can use coconut oil for healing Psoriasis, for you to try out.
How can coconut oil help with Psoriasis
Moisturizes the skin– Coconut oil is highly moisturizing to the skin and this is a good benefit for Psoriasis inflicted skin as it tends to become extremely dry – sometimes to the extent of flakiness.
Reduces swelling and redness– Coconut oil has got anti-inflammatory properties and this makes the redness and swelling which are almost always seen in Psoriasis patients
Calms the itchiness- Since most of the itchiness stems from a dryness that is caused by Psoriasis, applying coconut oil on the skin can help reduce it by keeping it moisturized.
Nourishes the skin– Coconut oil has got many nutrients and fatty acids that can keep your skin healthy while it is under the Psoriasis attack helping it fight the disease by itself.
10 Coconut oil Remedies for Psoriasis
Now that we know that Coconut oil can help with Psoriasis, we try ten of the combinations we can use with it for the purpose along with coconut oil alone as well. Most of these remedies are easy to make right at home and can work really well in bringing about a quick healing.
Coconut oil can be used directly as a massage oil for availing its benefits on psoriasis-inflicted skin. It can be of great help in reducing the symptoms such as itching, swelling and all the pain. Upon regular use, you might notice a considerable healing of the symptoms or at the very least, a definite relief. Here’s a simple means in which you can use it.
- Take some coconut oil of a pure quality and heat it ever so slightly.
- Using a cotton ball, dab it over the skin afflicted with the condition.
- Gently massage on the area and around the affected area.
- Wipe it off and wash it off after a while.
Coconut oil and Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a cure for nearly all skin ailments with its anti-septic, anti-inflammatory and general healing properties. It works against psoriasis in healing the symptoms as well as in calming the immune system at time.
Although mixing it with coconut oil may not be easy considering how they both have different bases – i.e., that of oil and water, we can do it with a little heat. This mix of these two can be great for your skin and you can use it in the following simple steps.
- Take some coconut oil and apple cider vinegar (where in the coconut oil is twice more than the apple cider vinegar).
- Get them to dissolve in each other, if possible by the application of heat.
- With a cotton ball, apply this mixture over your skin on and around the parts that were affected.
- Massage gently and leave it on for a while before you wash it off.
Coconut oil and Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is known for its many benefits on the skin – it can act as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory among them all can be great for the psoriasis in reducing the symptoms remarkably. Coconut oil here works as a base as well as works in keeping psoriasis at bay with enhanced activity due to tea tree oil. Here’s how we these two together.
- Take some coconut oil and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- After you make sure that the tea tree oil dissolves in the coconut oil, apply it gently over the skin with psoriasis.
- Massage for a while and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wipe or wash it off. You can also leave it on overnight as long as there is no discomfort.
Coconut oil and Epsom salt
Epsom salt acts as a good scrub in removing bacteria, dead skin cells as well as dirt from your skin. It can work great against psoriasis-inflicted skin for the same reasons and brings about a good amount of healing.
Using coconut oil as a vehicle for the Epsom salt keeps the skin from drying up while also having all the benefits of coconut oil act on the skin. Here’s how you use these two together.
- Take some coconut oil and add a few spoons of Epsom salt in it.
- See to it that the salt remains granular just as much as it does not scratch or irritate the skin.
- Apply this over your skin with psoriasis and massage gently such that the salt gets to act as a scrub.
- After you leave it on for a while, wash it off.
Coconut oil and Capsaicin
Capsaicin may be a spice but can be great for reducing the pain and irritation of skin ailments which is why it is used often in topical applications. We get Capsaicin as pills which we use along with coconut oil here for healing the symptoms of psoriasis.
The coconut oil keeps the skin moisturized and increases the efficiency of the action of capsaicin. Here’s a simple means in which you can use them together.
- Take some coconut oil and dissolve the capsaicin in it (of very less quantity).
- Apply this oil over your psoriasis afflicted areas of the skin and massage for a while.
- Wipe or wash it off later on after you leave it on for atleast 15 minutes.
Coconut oil and Garlic
A Kitchen spice that’s available all over the world, Garlic is one of the best anti-inflammatory agents for topical use that you can ask for. It can work in reducing pain and inflammation as well as calms the immune system as well.
We use it along with coconut oil so that the benefits of coconut oil are rendered along with that of garlic in healing the skin. Here’s how you use coconut oil and garlic together.
- Take some coconut oil and add some crushed garlic into it.
- We’d suggest that you heat it for a while so that the essence of garlic is absorbed into the oil.
- After it cools down to room temperature, gently apply it over the psoriasis-affected skin with a cotton bud.
- Massage it for a while and then leave it on before you wipe or wash it off.
Coconut oil and Basil oil
The essential oil that is extracted from Basil, Basil oil works great in healing many skin conditions such as rashes and inflammation. It can also work as an antiseptic, preventing any possible infection on the skin. We use it with coconut oil as a base here so that the skin doesn’t get dry upon its use and to have an enhanced benefit of the two of them. It can be done in these simple steps.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it ever so slightly and add the Basil oil to it.
- If you are using Basil leaves, heat the coconut oil with the basil leaves and then later on, cool the oil with the basil extract to room temperature.
- Apply this oil over the psoriasis-inflicted skin of yours and massage it gently for a while.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off post that.
Coconut oil and Eucalyptus oil
Eucalyptus oil has always been known for its ability to heal and soothe the skin, especially when there are diseases on the skin. The oil can act as an anti-inflammatory and an antiseptic thereby causing a relief from not just the symptoms but also begin to heal it from its very root cause.
We use coconut oil not only as a vehicle but also for its own ability to cause relief from psoriasis and its symptoms. Here’s how we use the two of them together.
- Take some coconut oil and add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to it.
- See to it that the two of them blend and now using a cotton bud apply the oil over your skin.
- Massage gently for a while and wash it off.
Coconut oil and Neem leaf paste
Neem is known widely for its great healing properties, especially when it comes to skin ailments. In the case of psoriasis, it acts as an antiseptic majorly, preventing the cause and the spread of infections. It is astringent and anti-inflammatory by nature, the properties which help in healing as well.
Coconut oil, while keeping the skin from getting dry and well nourished can also act as a base for Neem making sure it reaches the skin and shows its healing action. Here’s how you can make this simple remedy by yourself.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it ever so slightly.
- Add the Neem leaf paste which you can make with Neem leaves and water to the oil.
- Mix it thoroughly and then apply it over the psoriasis-inflicted skin.
- Massage gently until the oil seeps in and leave it on for about 20 minutes to half an hour.
- You can then wipe or wash it off.
Coconut oil and Oregon grape
Oregon grape extract is one of the most commonly used herbal cures for psoriasis and this is because of its great healing properties, especially seen on this skin condition. The Oregon grape extract is anti-inflammatory as well as anti septic and has a sort of a cleansing action that makes it heal the condition as well as its symptoms quickly.
Coconut oil is used here as a base. Since the oil might not easily dissolve the extract which is in the form of a tincture, we apply heat at times. Here’s how you can use Oregon Grape extract with coconut oil.
- Take some coconut oil and add a few drops of Oregon grape extract to it.
- Heat it ever so slightly such that the extract dissolves in the oil.
- Apply it over the psoriasis inflicted skin and gently massage for a while.
- Leave it on for a 20 minutes before you wipe and wash it off.
Precautions to take while using coconut oil for Psoriasis
- Make sure that you get yourself a patch test done for allergy. Although it is highly unusual to have an allergy for coconut oil, it is possible and therefore it is necessary to be careful so that complications can be avoided.
- Using too much of coconut oil for the skin isn’t advisable. Just enough to moisturize your skin and keeping it from becoming dry is a good way to protect your skin from all the symptoms of Psoriasis.
- If your skin is oily, leaving it on overnight is not advisable. Washing it off after a maximum of half an hour can work.
- Psoriasis is a delicate condition and hence, if one of these oils and combinations causes any kind of irritation to your skin, we advise that you stop using it and consult a professional before you continue using it.
Psoriasis is a seemingly difficult condition and yet with all the right care, it is not very difficult to handle. A few home remedies should help at least in curbing all the symptomatic problems. After you try out Coconut oil for Psoriasis and all the combinations, do leave our readers a testimony on how it has worked for you.
Table of Contents