It’s been a norm to give an oil massage for babies before you give them a bath since a long time now. And there’s a good reason that so many people do this. It protects your baby’s skin and keeps it moisturized and nourished.
Using coconut oil for babies is one of the most commonly seen pre-bath routines. There’s no surprise that we choose this oil so very often – it is one of the safest, most valuable oils that you can find on the planet. Along with that, it’s got many other benefits too. Here’s an elaboration on that and a list of coconut oil combinations you can use for your baby’s skin.
Why is Coconut oil Good for Babies?
It is a great moisturizer – Coconut oil, with all the fatty acids that it’s got can act as a great moisturizer for the body of your baby keeping it soft and smooth when used regularly.
Fights diaper rash and cradle cap – These are conditions that are seen very often in babies and a regular use of coconut oil can not only fight them but also prevent these skin issues.
Soothes the nerves – Your baby can sleep better and stay calm when you use coconut oil repeatedly and regularly as it tends to calm down the nervous system when massaged.
10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil on Babies
Combining coconut oil with some other safe ingredients for use on baby skin is a great way to enhance its effects on your baby. Most of these oils and ingredients are easily available and are safe for use.
Coconut oil massage
A massage with just coconut oil can be given to babies to keep their skin moisturized and healthy. Massaged every day before or after bathing, coconut oil can also help keep rashes and any possible skin infections at bay due to its anti-microbial activity. It can also help keep the skin cool during the summers and keep the baby skin from drying up during winters.
Usually a coconut oil massage is given to babies before they bath and in this case we can use any amount of oil and give them a nice long massage. Here’s how it is done.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it slightly so that it is warm.
- Apply this on your baby’s body and scalp gently with your fingers.
- Now massage gently by pressing lightly through the entire body of your baby.
- Continue doing this for a while and then leave it on for a little more while before you give the baby a bath.
You can alternatively also give your baby a coconut oil massage right after they are done with their bath so that their skin is kept moisturized and soft. There’s a slight variation in how much oil you take and how the massage is done.
- Take a few teaspoons of coconut oil and with just a couple of drops of the oil in every part, massage gently so that the skin is just moist and not oily.
You can apply any baby powder over it ever so slightly if the skin feels greasy. This can be useful in healing diaper and other skin rashes that the baby might have.
Coconut oil and Lemon essential oil
Along with coconut oil, some lemon extract has always proved to be a great addition. Lemon essential is good for baby skin as it is mild while it also protects the skin from any infections or rashes and keeps it healthy owing to the anti-oxidant nature of lemon.
Here’s how you give your baby a pre-bath coconut oil and lemon essential oil massage.
- Take a few teaspoonfuls of coconut oil and heat it ever so slightly so that it gets warm.
- Add some drops of lemon essential oil to it and blend the two of them to uniformity.
- Apply this mixture of oils over the skin of your baby including the scalp using your fingers or a cotton ball.
- Massage gently and yet, thoroughly for a while and leave it on for about 15 minutes before you give the baby a bath.
Coconut oil and Turmeric
Adding a pinch of turmeric is a great way to make your baby’s massages a lot more effective in healing them of rashes or any possible infections. Along with all that, turmeric is also nutritious and great for the delicate skin of your babies.
Since turmeric is a powder, we dissolve it in the coconut oil completely and then apply it as a pre-bath massage oil. When we use turmeric, we cannot apply it after the bath sessions as the skin needs to be washed off of it after use. Here’s a simple means by which you can use turmeric and coconut oil.
- Take a few teaspoons of coconut oil and heat it slightly so that it is warm.
- Add a pinch or two of turmeric and make sure that it blends with the oil completely so that the oil now looks yellow.
- Apply this oil over the skin of the baby and massage the whole of the body gently for about 15 to 20 minutes after which you can go on ahead with the bath.
Coconut oil and Lavender oil
Lavender oil is one of the most widely used oils for babies as it not only is mild and easy on the skin but can also be a great way to avoid as well as fight rashes, insect bites and other such problems. Added to all that, it also has a great scent that it imparts on your baby.
Coconut oil acts as a great base for the Lavender oil as well as does its bit in moisturizing the skin and keeping it healthy. Here’s how you use them both together.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it slightly so that it is warm.
- Add some Lavender oil to it (just a few drops) and see to it that it dissolves in the coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture of these two oils on the skin with a cotton ball or your cleaned fingers.
- Massage all of the body including the scalp of the baby gently for a while and then leave it on before you give your baby a bath.
- Alternatively, you can also apply this mixture of oils after the bath, in which case you should very less oil so that the skin is not oily.
Coconut oil and Almond oil
Apart from coconut oil, Almond oil is yet another one of the widely used oils when it comes to babies as it is a soothing as well as a highly nutritious oil great for the skin of the baby. Blending these two oils is a great idea for use on your baby.
Since the two of them blend really well, it is easy to use them together as a massage oil for your baby. Here’s how it’s done.
- Take a few teaspoons of Coconut oil and an equal amount of Almond oil and blend them together.
- Heat this mixture so that it is slightly warm.
- Apply the mixture of these two oils over the skin of your baby all through the body including the scalp.
- Massage it gently for a while and then leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before you give your baby a bath.
Coconut oil and Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is one of the widely used holistic massage oils and can be great as a massage oil for your baby as well. Blending it with coconut oil is a good option as it keeps the skin of your baby healthy as well as protected from any possible skin conditions.
Sesame oil can be used in about the same amounts as coconut oil as it is a mild and safe oil to be used on the skin. Here’s how you can use them together on your baby.
- Take a few teaspoons of coconut oil and the same amount of sesame oil.
- Blend them together and heat this mixture so that it is warm enough for the delicate skin of your baby.
- Massage this oil over the skin of your baby as well as the scalp and leave it on for a while before the bath.
Coconut oil with Chamomile Herb
Chamomile is a herb that is used for its many healing properties internally and externally. It can be safe for babies as well and highly effective in keeping their skin safe from rashes or infections. We use it along with coconut oil as the oil seeps deep into the skin and makes sure that the healing properties of chamomile reach deep into the layers of the skin.
Along with that, coconut oil also does its bit in keeping your baby’s skin moisturized, nourished and healthy. Here’s a simple means in which you can use them together.
- Heat some coconut oil and while it is still being heated, add a few chamomile dries leaves to it.
- Continue with the heating for a while so that the extract of the herb is absorbed into the oil.
- Cool the oil down to room temperatures later on and massage it over your baby’s body gently.
- Continue with the massage for a while before you give your baby a bath.
Coconut oil with Calendula
Calendula is yet another herb that can be healing and protecting of the delicate skin of your baby without being harsh on it at all. The flowers, usually dried, are used as the herb. It can be an anti-inflammatory as well as antiseptic for the skin.
We use coconut oil as a moisturizing vehicle to help carry the herb deep into the pores of your baby’s skin. A pre-bath massage can be given to your baby with the help of this herb in the following simple steps.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it.
- While it is getting heated, add some Calendula to it and continue with the heating.
- Cool the oil that now as got the extract of Calendula in it and apply it to your baby’s body and massage it gently.
- Leave it on for about a half an hour before you give your baby a bath.
Coconut oil and Baking soda
Baking soda can be one of the best remedies you can use on your baby when they’ve got a rash or acne or any infection that seems to be irking them. It is cleansing and very healing when it comes to skin problems. However, you should use only a pinch or two as too much of its use may make the skin of your baby react to it.
Coconut oil is being used as a base here for the baking soda to work to its best. Along with that, it does its bit in fighting the skin condition of your baby as well. Here’s how you use these two together.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it so that it becomes warm.
- Add some baking soda (a few pinches) to this and see to it that it dissolves completely.
- When it is of a suitable temperature to your baby, apply and massage over the affected area.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes and wash it off post that.
Coconut oil and Aloe Gel
Aloe vera gel is a great remedy for your baby’s skin rashes and infections. It is also a general coolant and protecting agent that keeps the skin of your baby healthy and nourished at all times. It is also a very efficient antiseptic and anti-inflammatory that is very easy on the skin.
Although coconut oil and Aloe gel are not easy to be blended together what with one of them being an oil and the other, a gel, we apply heat for the purpose. Here’s how this can be done.
- Take some coconut oil and add about the same amount of aloe-vera gel to it.
- Try and blend the two of them using a blender and if it seems to be tough use heat to see to it that they mix up.
- Apply it to the body of your baby and massage gently all over before you give him a bath.
Precautions to be taken while using coconut oil for babies
- While coconut oil is safe for the skin of most babies, there are some instances when it could be allergic to some of them. You should check for this before applying the oil all over their body by doing a little patch test elsewhere on the body.
- Since babies have got a skin that is delicate, the massage should be done carefully and gently.
- You should be careful when you use the oil on the baby’s face – around the eyes, nose and mouth are especially gentle parts.
- If you notice any reaction while you are using the oil or your baby seems uncomfortable for some reason, you should consult a professional before you continue using it.
Table of Contents