It is not spoken about very much, but bloating is a problem that a whole lot of people experience now and then.
Bloating is when you feel like your stomach is full all the time, heavy, uncomfortable and gassy. You can also feel nauseous at times as a result of bloating. Lately, it has become a very common condition because of the lifestyle irregularities and stress.
While these are the general ways which people experience bloating, sometimes (although rarely), there are more serious causes for bloating which could be bigger problems in your stomach, especially when there are additional problems like blood in your stool or haemorrhoids.
Most of the time, bloating can be set right with the help of a proper diet and some simple home remedies. We have a few tested and tried home remedies for bloating that may come to the rescue and cause some healing.
Possible Causes for Bloating
An Irregular diet : One of the major reasons that so many people have a bloated stomach so frequently these days is the irregularities in the diet. Giving a long gap between one meal and another, skipping some meals and such irregularities are most likely the reason for your bloating. In such cases, all you need to do is mend your dietary habits.
Infection: Some infections that attack the gut can cause the bacteria to release gases as well as your stomach to release acids and this makes you feel bloated. A diagnosis and treatment is the right way of approach in these cases.
Dehydration : Not drinking enough water can also lead to bloated stomach due to lack of liquids and water at times and this can be mended by continuously including a lot of water in your day.
Hormonal changes (menstrual or pregnancy related) : It is common for women to feel bloated before the onset of their menses or during their pregnancy. This kind of bloating is related to the hormonal changes (prostaglandins) that take place during this period. You can use simple home remedies to heal this kind of bloating as well.
Gut problems : Constipation and some kind of obstruction in your gut can also lead to bloating many a times. In these cases as well, simple home remedies work while attending the cause is important too.
Food Allergies : Sometimes when you are allergic to some foods, it is taken out by our gut in the form of a bloated stomach. Finding out what is causing this allergic reaction is a good way to heal this kind of bloating.
Along with these reasons, a bloated stomach can be caused by many reasons which are sometimes more serious such as IBS, Ulcers, Inflammation in the lining of the gut and reasons as simple as not working out enough. Finding out the reason helps you get free of your bloated stomach much easier.
How to Get Rid of Bloating Fast Home Remedies
Simple after-meal spices and teas can be a great way to make sure that your bloating does not go up after you eat. If your bloating is not really related to your meal, you can still use these remedies any time of the day.
Fennel seeds for bloating
Fennel seeds are one of the oldest and the most efficient remedies that has been used for bloating. No matter what the cause for bloating is – either digestive disorders or other things that lead to digestive disorders, we address the bloating by addressing the digestive issues.
This is where Fennel helps as it tends to cause an increased production of the gastric juices and an increased mobility in the digestive tract. This makes the gas go away and keeps your digestion in order.
How do we take Fennel seeds?
- We get Fennel seeds directly which we can eat right after our meal.
- We can add it to our foods directly or in the form of a powder.
- Make yourself some Fennel tea and drink this occasionally or after every meal to get rid of bloating.
Ginger for bloating
Ginger is one of the spices that is used for its carminative properties. It can increase digestive motility and cause an expelling of the gas that gets stored in the digestive tract causing all the bloating. It can also relive all the pain that is caused from the bloating.
Drinking a tea that is made out of ginger is one of the best ways to use it for this purpose. It can be done in the following simple steps.
- Take some water and bring it to boil.
- Add some ginger to it and continue with the boiling.
- Once the water turns yellow in colour strain the tea out and add some honey to it.
- Drinking this tea everyday can reduce your bloating increase digestive health.
Peppermint for bloating
Peppermint is yet another herb that can be a great remedy for bloating. It is known to soothe the digestive tract and relive the tension in the muscles of the tract so that digestion can go on without any problems. Flatulence , pain in the stomach and indigestion can all be healed with regular peppermint consumption over a period of time.
Making yourself some peppermint tea isn’t that hard either. With peppermint essential oil, it can be done in the following simple steps.
- Take some water and bring it to boil.
- Add a few drops of Peppermint oil to it and continue with the boiling.
- Stop with the heating once the colour of the tea changes to yellow.
- You can add honey before you drink to enhance the taste.
Asafoetida for bloating
Asafoetida, a spice that is used for cooking is yet another great remedy for bloating that is especially caused by flatulence. An excessive or less production of gastric juices sometimes causes too much digestive gas in the stomach that causes hindrance to digestion itself and keeps you feeling bloated.
Consuming some Asafoetida can help with this problem greatly as it tends to absorb all the excessive gas and increase the motility of your stomach so that digestion can go on with ease. You can add asafetida to most of your foods. Here’s another simple means in which you can use it.
- After your meal, take a pinch of asafetida into very little water.
- Dissolve it in the water and drink this water.
- Doing this after every meal can help with your bloating and flatulence and eventually clear all of these problems.
Betel leaf for bloating
Betel leaf, which happens to be a common post-meal food in India is a great anti-bloating remedy. As it enters your digestive tract, it can expel the gases and increase the production of the digestive juices thereby helping with the digestion.
How do we eat a betel leaf?
All you do is wrap the betel leaf around some more de-bloating spices such as fennel and eat it. We add sugars and other flavouring agents to these spices sometimes just to add to the flavor.
Dandelion for bloating
Dandelion is one of those herbs that is a blessing for people suffering with digestive problems. Being a natural laxative, it helps increase the digestive motility and increase the speed of digestion. It also helps deal with many digestive problems such as flatulence and indigestion, especially the ones we face during our periods or pregnancy.
Once you get hold of some pure Dandelion, the best way to consume it is in the form of a tea that you can make in these simple steps.
- Take some water in a vessel and bring it to boil.
- Add the Dandelion to it and continue with the heating until the colour of the water changes to yellow.
- Strain this tea out and add honey to it before you drink it.
- Drinking Dandelion tea regularly (preferably after your meals) can help greatly with digestion.
Cinnamon for bloating
Cinnamon is a kitchen spice that acts as a great remedy for bloating. All it does is makes the muscles of the gastro intestinal tract ease out and increase the digestive motility so that all the flatulence is lost and digestion takes place quickly and easily.
We add cinnamon in many foods – both sweet and spicy for the beautiful flavor as well as for its help in digestion. Making cinnamon tea is also a great means to extract its anti-bloating benefits out it. Here’s how this simple cinnamon tea is made.
- Take some water and bring it to boil.
- Add the cinnamon powder to it and continue with the boiling.
- Strain the tea out once the colour changes.
- Add lemon and honey to it before you drink it to deal with the strong flavor.
Turmeric for bloating
The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric also make it a great digestive aide. It can help in reducing the bloating and the flatulence that we usually get after our meals by dealing with an over active gastric system which produces too much digestive gas.
It is a carminative that works also by increasing the digestive motility. Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other digestive problems can also eventually be resolved when we regularly use turmeric in our foods.
Usually turmeric is used in nearly all foods as it also imparts a characteristic flavor to them. There is yet another popular way that turmeric is usually consumed for these purposes and that is in the form of the ‘golden milk’. Here’s how you make this.
- Take a small glass-full of milk which has been heated so that is lukewarm.
- Add some turmeric to it and mix it in the milk.
- Add a spoon of honey as well and mix all of them.
- Drink this golden milk after your dinner or your lunch for easy digestion.
Anise for bloating
Anise is yet another spice that acts as a carminative and a de-bloating remedy. It acts mostly by calming down the muscles of the digestive tract and reducing the tension in the muscles. This helps ease and increase digestion and reduce the cramps that we sometimes get as a result of bloating.
Anise is not too flavoury and hence drinking the tea that is made out of it can be done easily – just as easily as we make the tea.
- Take some water and add the anise seeds to it.
- Continue with the boiling until the colour changes slightly.
- Strain this tea out and add some honey to it before you drink it.
Probiotics for bloating
Sometimes, an increase in the bad gut bacteria causes all the bloating making digestion very difficult. At such times, good gut bacteria which are found in probiotics protect the digestive tract from these bacteria by killing them and secreting substances that can actually help with digestion.
A natural probiotic that can be greatly helpful for this purpose is yogurt. Yogurt is full of such good gut bacteria that help with this. Eating a lot of yogurt can help heal from bloating. Adding herbs and spices that help with digestion to the yogurt can enhance the digestive action.
Additional measures to keep bloating under control:
- Eating regular, small meals is the best means to keep your stomach free of bloating or any such problems.
- Avoiding foods that are too spicy or uncomfortable for the stomach, especially if you’ve got a sensitive stomach is one way that you can avoid bloating.
- Walking for a few minutes right after you eat can also avoid bloating or heaviness after you eat.
- Drinking lots of water can be a great way to keep yourself healthy in many ways and one of the benefits that it’s got to offer is that it avoids bloating.
Bloating may not be a serious problem after all, but it sure does cause a great deal of discomfort, sometimes pain as well. Finding out the underlying cause and attending to the treatment of that cause is a great idea while home remedies can be of help meanwhile. Do let us know if these natural remedies for bloating have helped you out!