Dandruff, one of the most persistent and troubling hair problems can be healed at home through natural means if only we spend enough time on it. One of the most commonly used remedies for dandruff is baking soda. Using baking soda for dandruff is not just highly effective but also extremely easy. Go on and give this elaborate study of just how we can use baking soda for dandruff a read before you try it out.
How Can Baking Soda Remove dandruff?
Sodium bicarbonate (the scientific name of baking soda) has got many uses as a natural dandruff remedy because of these actions that it shows against dandruff and itchy scalp.
It is anti-microbial in nature – It fights microbes and therefore dandruff, which is caused and spread by fungus can easily be eliminated by the regular use of baking soda on the scalp.
It can alleviate inflammation – Dandruff can lead to a very irritable and itchy scalp condition that is accompanied by redness and inflammation. The anti-inflammatory action of baking soda can help deal with that.
It cleanses the scalp – Baking soda is often used as a cleaning agent in home for the ability to remove dirt and oil-based dirt. This property of the chemical also helps in its cleansing action on the scalp by removal of piled dirt and oil in the hair follicles.
Maintains the ph balance of the scalp – The ph balance of the scalp can be maintained with the help of baking soda and this keeps the fungus from growing in numbers and thereby fights dandruff and itchy scalp.
Reduces oiliness of the scalp – Excessive oiliness of the scalp can be balanced out with the help of baking soda as it causes the scalp to dry. However, it is better to use it with an oil if you want to keep the scalp from drying out too much, especially if you’ve got dry hair.
Using a Baking Soda Shampoo for Dandruff
One of the easiest ways to use baking soda is in the form of a dry shampoo. It can be very effective in not just cleaning your scalp but getting rid of dandruff and other scalp conditions. Here’s a step-by-step procedure in which you can do that.
Step 1 : Take some baking powder into a bowl.
Step 2 : Add water until it becomes a paste and rub this paste all over your hair until there is lather.
Step 3 : Leave it on for about 5 minutes before you rinse it off your hair.
Step 4 : Use an apple cider vinegar hair rinse after you use the baking soda shampoo to cleanse and condition your hair.
Step 5 : Use this baking soda shampoo at least two times a week to completely rid your hair of dandruff in about 2 to 3 months.
10 Natural Ways to Use Baking Soda Hair Masks for Dandruff
While using baking soda for dandruff all by itself can be good enough for the hair, using it along with other anti-dandruff remedial ingredients can work even faster and better. Baking soda, being a powder, blends with many other substances to form hair masks for dandruff. Here is a list of ten such masks you can try out at home.
Much like the baking soda shampoo, we make a baking soda mask where in we apply the paste all over the hair and rinse it off. Here is how you do that.
- Take some baking soda powder in a bowl.
- Add some water to it and mix them well to form paste.
- Apply this paste over your scalp and the strands of your hair and leave it on for about a 15 to 20 minutes.
Baking soda + Apple cider vinegar
Using baking soda and apple cider vinegar can be great for maintaining the Ph of the scalp as well as fighting dandruff quickly and easily. Here’s how you do that.
- Take some baking soda in a bowl.
- Add apple cider vinegar to it so that it forms a uniform paste with no lumps.
- Apply this all over the scalp and leave it on for about a 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
Baking soda + Yogurt + Lemon juice
Yogurt and lemon juice have been a popular anti-dandruff remedy for their anti-fungal and moisturizing action. Adding some baking soda to it can help in healing dandruff and itchy scalp much quicker.
- Take some yogurt into a bowl as the base and add some lemon juice to it.
- Add some baking soda to this and mix them all up into a fine paste.
- Apply this paste all over the scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Rinse it off with warm water and shampoo.
Baking soda + Shea butter
Shea butter acts as a vehicle for baking soda while also conditioning and moisturizing the scalp when used in the form of a hair mask. Here is how you can use them both together.
- Take some shea butter into a bowl.
- Add a few spoons of baking soda and mix it well so that it is thoroughly mixed into the butter.
- Apply this paste all over the scalp and the strands as well.
- Wash it off your hair with warm water and shampoo if you’d like to.
Baking soda + Tea tree oil mask
Tea tree oil is one of the essential oils that is regularly used as an anti-dandruff oil for its antiseptic and healing properties. It also acts as a vehicle for baking soda to spread out onto the scalp while also allowing it to moisturize the scalp. Here is how the mask for baking soda and tea tree oil is made.
- Take some tea tree oil into a bowl and heat it such that it is lukewarm.
- Add a teaspoon or two of baking soda and mix it thoroughly in it.
- Apply this paste all over your scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a shampoo.
Baking soda + Coconut oil hair mask
Coconut oil, while is highly nutritious for the hair is also known for its anti-fungal properties which make it a great anti-dandruff oil. It can be used with baking soda in the following mask.
- Take some coconut oil into a bowl and heat it till it is lukewarm.
- Add a teaspoon or two of baking soda.
- Make a paste out of the two of them.
- Apply it over your scalp and leave it on for about a 20 minutes before you rinse it off and shampoo.
Baking soda + Aloe vera for dandruff
Aloe vera is yet another age-old remedy for dandruff that can blend pretty much with any ingredient. Baking soda and aloe vera together, make a great anti-dandruff hair mask that can be made easily in the following steps.
- Take some aloe vera gel into a bowl.
- Add some baking soda to it and see to it that they blend well with each other.
- Apply this mixture over your scalp and leave it on for about a half an hour.
- Rinse your hair with a shampoo post that.
Baking soda + Neem leaves + Basil leaves hair mask
Neem and basil are great natural remedies for dandruff and itchy scalp due to their anti-septic properties. Making a baking soda mask with them can be a good, quick way to fight dandruff.
- Make a paste out of neem leaves and basil leaves and mix them together.
- Add baking soda to this and add just enough water to make a paste out of them.
- Apply this paste all over the scalp and leave it on for about a 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and shampoo your hair after that.
Baking soda + Honey hair mask
Honey is yet another natural ingredient that can act as a vehicle for baking soda while also moisturizing the scalp when used against dandruff. Here is how you make a mask out of the both of them.
- Take some honey in a bowl and add baking soda to it.
- Mix it thoroughly so that there are no lumps formed in the mixture and the baking soda spreads out evenly throughout the honey.
- Apply this mix all over the hair and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with shampoo or warm water.
Baking soda + Avocado hair mask
Avocados are often used as anti-dandruff ingredients for the hair because of their anti-microbial properties and their ability to reduce inflammation of the scalp. Here is how you make a baking soda and avocado mask for the hair.
- Peel avocados and make a paste out of them.
- Add baking soda and mix the paste gradually until it spreads into the paste.
- Apply it all over the scalp and the strands and leave it on for about a half an hour.
- Rinse it off with a shampoo.
Is Baking Soda Safe for the Hair?
Baking soda is safe for the hair for the most part but the high PH can cause the hair to get brittle in the beginning. Here is how you can alleviate the damage that it can possibly cause due to the PH.
- Use it in a diluted form, i.e, with a lot of water made into a very thin paste.
- Use it with other ingredients mostly so that the benefits of the baking soda are seen while the damage is reduced.
- Make sure that the baking soda does not reach your eyes as it cause irritation.
- Get a patch test done on other areas of your body to make sure that it is not particularly harmful to your skin
As long as you take enough precautionary measures, it is highly beneficial to use baking soda for dandruff and itchy scalp. Do try out these masks and let us know just how they helped you with dandruff.
Baking soda and essential oils for dandruff..?
Gently warm up the olive oil and add it to the egg yolk. To this, include the baking soda powder and blend well. Apply this hair pack on the scalp and let it sit for around 20 minutes. Flush with warm water first and afterward with cool water.
Hair mask for dry scalp with olive oil, patchouli, baking soda..?
Mix 2 drops of patchouli basic oil with a teaspoon of heating pop and about a nickel to a quarter size of sans sulfate cleanser, contingent upon the length of your hair. Blend it well and after that apply it to your scalp by rubbing it indelicately, utilizing a round movement. In the event that you have dandruff, blend patchouli oil with a transporter oil like coconut or almond oil, and delicately rub it into the scalp. Leave it on for no less than 30 minutes before washing it.
How to remove dandruff with bicarbonate of soda..?
Wet your hair and after that rub a handful of baking soda and soak it into your scalp. Avoid the shampoo and go directly to washing it with water. Baking soda lessens overactive growths that can cause dandruff.
Using baking soda for treatment of scalp ringworm..?
Baking soda is likewise exceptionally viable in treating ringworm. A paste is made from a tablespoon of preparing soda blended with a little measure of water. This paste should be put up unto the influenced zone and permit it to dry. At the point when it starts to chip off, clean it with water.
Table of Contents