Regular menstrual cycle is something that indicates a healthy body. And yet, there are some days when we would like our periods to be delayed by a few days just because we wouldn’t want to be physically drained on those particular days. For instance, if there’s a big wedding or function, or a sporting or fitness even or that big trip, we sure would like to push our periods by a few days. Using Allopathic medicines is always an option, but a dangerous one at that, for all the side effects it could cause. Fret not, for we have some home remedies for delaying periods that you can try out. They are safe for use and work effectively too. Give them a read before you try out harsher chemicals for postponing your menstrual cycle.
Table of Contents
10 Natural Ways to Stop Your Period Early
These easily available, safe herbs and vegetables have been used for a long time now for their effect on the menstrual cycle. However, these foods can only push the periods ahead by a few days’ time and not more than that.
1. Eating Green Beans/French Beans
One of the simple means to stop or delay your periods is to include a lot of green veggies in your diet. You would be surprised to find out that something as simple as green beans could actually be effective in delaying your periods. Being rich in Calcium, they also ease out the pre-menstrual symptoms like cramps and mood swings. However, you can only delay your period by a few days by eating a lot of green beans.
How to use green beans for delaying periods?
Green beans can simple be eaten – raw or cooked or in whatever form you would like to take them. Here are a few ways we’d suggest you eat these green beans for postponing your period.
- Make a salad out of green beans by slightly cooking them. This way, you get to eat a lot of green beans at the same time. Make it one of your meals if you’d like to.
- Make a soup full of green beans and make it one of your meals.
- You can add boiled green beans to any of the foods or desserts that you eat all day so that your menses can be delayed by a day or two.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also known to cause a delaying of the periods when we take it in different forms. It is also used to reduce heavy flow at times. It is safe for use too as the effects won’t be drastic and there will not be any side effects. It can be used in some simple means at home and works in delaying periods for about a week at times.
How to use apple cider vinegar for delaying periods?
Apple cider vinegar can be used in many forms for postponing periods. We can add it to desserts, salads and other foods or consume it directly. We show you a simple technique in which you can use it.
- Take some apple cider vinegar in a small glass and add about three times the amount of water to it.
- Mix the two of them of well and drink it two times a day.
3. Fig Juice
Figs are yet another commonly used home remedies for reducing the flow during periods. If you take them a few days before the menstrual cycle, you can also delay it by three to four days. These fruits are easily available all over the world and can be used without any side effects too. We show you a few methods in which you can use figs.
How to use figs for delaying periods?
You can use the fruits of figs in multiple forms and we show you some of them.
- Eat the fruits directly. You can eat about 5 figs a day just before the onset of your periods for delaying them.
- You can make a juice out of the pulp of the fruits of the figs. Drinking it twice a day can be a good way to stop your periods.
Leaves of the fig plants can also be used to reduce the flow of periods in the following manner.
- Take about ten leaves of figs.
- Crush them and make a paste.
- Gently rub this paste over your lower abdomen for a while.
- This can reduce the symptoms of periods as well as delay them by a few days.
Raspberries can be of use in multiple ways to delay the periods – with their leaves as well as fruits. A chemical compound present in them is capable of strengthening the uterine walls and thereby stopping excessive bleeding and postpone the menses too. We look at some of the ways in which you can use raspberries for the purpose.
How to use raspberries for delaying periods?
Raspberries are used most commonly in the form of raspberry leaf tea for the purpose of delaying the periods. Instead, you can also eat the raspberries directly. Here is how you use them.
- Take some raspberry leaves and boil them in water.
- After the water turns yellowish or orange-ish, we can drink the water in the form of a tea.
- Adding some lemon juice or ginger to it can make it more palatable.
Yarrow, a very common herb found in the USA is used often for its ability to delay the menses. It is also used to stop excessive bleeding in case of injuries and hemorrhages. It can therefore not only stop an excess blood flow during periods but also can delay it by a few days.
How to use Yarrow for delaying periods?
Yarrows, being a herb are used in the form of a tea, often times and this tea is made from the dried up parts of flowers, stems and leaves. You can find the dried herb in many herbal stores and once you get hold of that, this is how you make yourself a yarrow tea.
- Take some of these yarrow herb parts and add them to boiling water.
- Continue with the boiling for some more time.
- When the water turns yellow, strain it into a cup and drink it.
- You can add some lemon juice for additional effect postponing your period as well as for taste.
6. Shepherd’s Purse
Shepherd’s purse is yet another herb that works for delaying the periods in much the same way as yarrow. It can stop heavy bleeding everywhere else in the body too. It is an ancient cure for fibroids in the uterus as well. What with it being a strong treatment, we do not recommend an excess of it. Here is an elaboration on how you use it.
How to use Shepherd’s purse for delaying periods?
Shepherd’s purse is also available in the form of a dried herb and hence we can use it by making a tea out of it in this simple procedure that we describe below.
- Take some water in a hot pot and bring it to boil.
- Add the herb to it and continue with the boiling.
- Once the water turns yellow, strain it out into a cup, add lemon juice (this is optional) and drink it.
- Drinking this once a day should do to delay your periods by a couple of days.
Gelatin is yet another compound that heals an excess of bleeding. It is usually used to stop bleeding anywhere on the body in case of injuries and works well in postponing periods for a few days as well. It works by solidifying the components of the blood making them more gel like and thereby stopping the flow.
How to use Gelatin to delay periods?
Gelatin can be used by simply ingesting it internally. After you find a decent brand and a reasonable concentration of gelatin, you can make a drink out of it in these simple steps.
- Take some gelatin powder (a teaspoonful) and add it to a glass.
- Add water to it such that you get a viscous liquid.
- Mix it up well and drink it.
- Drinking this gelatin mix twice everyday can delay your periods by a few days.
- However, it must be taken into account that excess use of gelatin is not recommended as it can show side effects.
8. Liquorice root (Licorice root)
Liquorice root can work in postponing periods and controlling the blood flow because of the phytoestrogens that it has got. The root is now available in many parts of the globe and used directly for many medicinal purposes.
How to use Liquorice root for delaying periods?
Liquorice root is available in many herbal and drug stores and can be found easily. The most common form in which we use Liquorice is in the form of a tea. It can be made in these simple steps.
- Take a Liquorice root or root extract and add it to boiling water.
- Continue boiling this water for a little more while.
- Strain this yellow tea that is formed after a while and drink it.
- Adding lemon juice or sweeteners can make it more palatable.
- Consuming it twice a day can push your periods away for a couple of days.
9. Gram lentils
Gram lentils are yet another one of our common foods that can be capable of pushing the periods away by a few days. They are high in proteins and can be used to provide nutrition and strength to the uterus and the body in general.
How to use Gram lentils for delaying periods?
Gram lentils can be eaten in multiple forms for postponing periods but one of the best ways is to make a soup out of the powder. This way you can consume a lot of these lentils and in one of their most effective forms.
- Take some gram lentils and roast them for a while (with a little bit of oil).
- Make a powder out of these lentils.
- Use it as a base for soup and drink this soup twice a day.
One of the easiest means to delay your periods is to eat a lot of bananas just before the onset of them so that they can be pushed by atleast a day or two. This simple technique has been sworn by, by many women around the world. This can be attributed to the high amounts of fibre and Magnesium present in them. They also make your menses a lot less painful and the PMS quite bearable.
How to use Bananas to delay periods?
You can eat bananas in multiple ways for delaying periods and one of the best, most easy methods is to just eat two to three bananas through the day before your menses start. Here are some other ways in which you can eat bananas for this purpose.
- Make a milkshake out of the bananas. This way you can ingest two to three bananas at once.
- You can make pie or cake or any other dessert out of them. Although the number of bananas ingested can be more this way as well, the sugar content will be high as well, so you should be a wary of that.
Additional Tips to postpone your periods
- Eat less spices – Spicy foods tend to be emmanagogues in nature by inducing periods. Therefore, if you are looking to delay your periods, we would advise you to eat less spices around the time.
- Avoid mental and emotional stress – Stressing out about various reasons is also known to cause the onset of periods and we’d therefore advise you to stop doing that. Keeping yourself calm emotionally and mentally can also push the periods away by a bit.
- Working out – Some lower body work outs can make your periods get delayed by a day or two. This is however a risky method and should be worked out along with a trained professional alone.
- Yoga – While yoga is mostly known to correct irregular menstrual cycles, some poses may work in delaying the periods by a few days. You should work with a trained professional for this purpose.
While most of these remedies are natural and hence do not have any side effects, an excessive use of them could cause an imbalance in the menstrual cycle and is not recommended. We would also advise you to consult a physician before trying out these techniques to delay your periods.
Now that you’ve gone through this, go on and give these remedies for postponing periods a try at home and let us know if they have worked for you!