A swollen and an inflamed blood vessel in the anus or rectal area is termed as a “hemorrhoid”. The rectum is the ultimate region of the large intestine before it exits into the anal region through which the feces exits the human body.
Table of Contents
- 1 Internal and External Hemorrhoids
- 2 What are the sources of hemorrhoids?
- 3 How Can The Hemorrhoidal Pain Be Classified?
- 4 What are the Manifestations of Hemorrhoid?
- 5 What Are The Conventional Therapies to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids?
- 6 How Does Diet Adjustments Help to Treat Hemorrhoids?
- 7 How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids Naturally fast and easy
- 8 How to Prevent Hemorrhoids Symptoms?
- 9 When to Seek Medical Help?
- 10 Frequently Asked Hemorrhoid or Piles Doubts
Internal and External Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids at times swell when the walls of the veins are stretched and are irritated due to the passage of stools. The hemorrhoids are classified into two categories based on the origin:
The origin of the Internal hemorrhoid is inside the rectal region.If they are large enough or are located close to the anus they may bulge out during the bowel movements.
External hemorrhoid originates from the anus region. When irritated these hemorrhoids can bleed or itch.
When the external hemorrhoid s are severely irritated and blood pools in them the form a hard lump to form a thrombosed hemorrhoid. This thrombosed hemorrhoid is painful and can result in swelling as well as inflammation.
What are the sources of hemorrhoids?
Swollen veins are an outcome of increased pressure in the rectum region due to:
- Strain caused due to bowel movement
- Spending long periods of time on the toilet seat.
- Chronic diarrhea
- Being overweight
- Anal intercourse
- Lower fiber diet
- Lifting of heavy objects regularly
- Heredity problems
- Coughing for a longer period
- Excessive sneezing and vomiting
- Breath controlling during physical labor
How Can The Hemorrhoidal Pain Be Classified?
Many physicians classify the pain due to hemorrhoids along four grades.
These are hemorrhoids that bleed but are not to known to protrude out of the anal region.
Hemorrhoids that are seen to prolapse and self-retract with or without bleeding are second-degree hemorrhoids. They emerge out of the anus during stool passage and return back inside the body.
These hemorrhoids protrude out of the anus and need to be pushed back into the anus with the aid of a finger.
Fourth-degree hemorrhoids are the one that prolapse and cannot be pushed back into the anus. These mainly include hard lump clots known as thrombosed hemorrhoids.
What are the Manifestations of Hemorrhoid?
The most common symptoms of hemorrhoids are
- Anal bleeding
- Anal discharge
- Protruding mass from the anal region.
Some of the other signs include:
- Irritated anus
- Anal itching
- Anal lumps that are sensitive.
- Hurting bowel movements
- Skin protrusions during bowel movements.
- Blood on toilet paper post bowel movement.
What Are The Conventional Therapies to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids?
Treating of hemorrhoid s is very crucial as they tend to get worse with time. Conventional treatment includes:
1.Over the counter topical products
The market is flooded with topical products that help to reduce swollen veins that includes:
- Wipes and
Ointments, gels, creams need to be applied on to the anal region as the thin layer or covering with the aid of a finger or a pile pipe. The pile pipe work very efficiently if they have a hole on either side. These pipes need to be lubricated with an ointment before being inserted into the anus. The other topical applicators are less efficient than ointments, creams, and gels.
2. Surgical procedures
There are various surgeries that can be done to remove hemorrhoids, they are:
This is a therapy where a chemical is injected into the vein to destroy it. The chemical inserted is called a sclerosant and this damages the inner wall of the vessel that aids in the blocking of blood circulation in the vein that turns the vessel into a scar tissue and gradually fades off.
- Rubber band ligation
A rubber band is used in the hemorrhoid removal. The doctor inserts a small tool called the ligator into the anal canal and catches hemorrhoid with the help of a forceps and slides the ligator upward releasing the rubber band around the hemorrhoids base. The rubber bands cuts of the blood supply in the hemorrhoids and aids in withering it away.
- Infrared coagulation
A procedure that is commonly used to treat internal hemorrhoids. A device that creates an intense beam of infrared light is focused on hemorrhoid that cuts the blood supply in the vein and helps in the death of the clot. A scar tissue is seen to be formed on the anal region and below the lower rectal region that holds the nearby veins in place so that they do not prolapse into the anal canal.
- Hemorrhoidectomy (Hemorrhoid Surgery)
Surgical interventions are the less common procedures for hemorrhoidal removal. Doctors opt for this process when other treatments fail or the patient’s sufferers from acute complications of hemorrhoids. The clots or the hemorrhoid are removed with a small cut or incision in the infected area. It is a minor surgery that requires a three week recovery period.
How Does Diet Adjustments Help to Treat Hemorrhoids?
- High fiber food intake
One of the main aspects that need to be avoided for hemorrhoids is constipation and hard stool. This can be successfully done by increasing the intake of fiber-rich foods. A daily intake of 30-35 grams of fiber in diet will be beneficial to treat hemorrhoids. Include foods like Avocado, figs, Brussels, sprouts, beans, lentils, flaxseeds, nuts, chia seeds, squash, and quinoa. Research suggests that risk of symptoms and bleeding by fifty percent.
- Stay hydrated
Water or liquids play an effective role in fiber transportation through the digestive tract and keeping the body hydrated protects the body from constipation that alleviates hemorrhoids
Drinking one glass of water per meal or snack yields a fruitful outcome.
- Fermented foods consumption
Fermented foods like raw or pasteurized yogurt, help to increase the probiotic bacteria in the gut which not only aids in digestion but also increase nutrient availability and modifies the pH gut.
- Reduce the intake of spicy food as well as alcohol
Alcohol consumption aids in fluid loss and digestion problems that accelerates hemorrhoids roots and spicy foods enhances the symptoms making it worse. Limit alcohol and spicy food till the hemorrhoids are cured.
- Fiber supplements intake
Pile rich supplements available over the counter like Citrucel or Metamucil helps to reduce hemorrhoidal signs.
- Stool softeners
Stool softeners may help to decrease hemorrhoids if already present loose stool can cause inflammation and infection of an anus. Consult a doctor for a suitable stool softener.
How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids Naturally fast and easy
Hemorrhoids self-cure within few weeks, the discomforts caused by hemorrhoids can be cured naturally with home remedies at the comfort of home.
- Witch Hazel
The astringent and antioxidant properties of witch hazel help in skin healing. Topical application of witch hazel soothes inflammation and hemorrhoid pain.
- Psyllium Husk
A natural source that is sold in powder form in the markets. When used regularly helps to decrease the bleeding during the bathroom usage and helps to reduce constipation straining. Increase the water intake during the usage of this remedy.
- Butcher’s broom
Butcher’s broom aids in inflammation and swelling decrease by reducing the blood pooling which results in thrombosed hemorrhoids.
Pycnogenol® is a class of polyphenols derived from the pine bark of a tree known as Pinus pinaster. This product can also be extracted from peanut skin, grape seed, and witch hazel bark. The unique natural oxidants help to cure hemorrhoids.
- Horse chestnut
Horse chestnut is used as an herbal remedy for the treatment of poor blood flow and swelling. Studies prove that horse chestnut aid to improve microcirculation, vascular tone, and capillary flow all of which help to reduce hemorrhoids.
- Aloe Vera
The anti-inflammatory property of Aloe Vera helps to treat skin conditions and hemorrhoids. Aloe Vera is available over the counter or can be directly taken from inside the plants leaves and can be used for hemorrhoid treatment. Aloe Vera initiates allergy in some individuals so a patch test needs to be performed pre usage.
- Cypress essential oil usage
Cypress oil aids in clotting of the blood by arresting the blood flow due to its astringent and hemostatic property. This oil not only helps in tightening tissues but also helps in contraction of blood. The anxiety reduction property of Cypress oil yields to reduce constipation. Use 3-4 drops of the oil on a cotton ball and apply it topically on the infected area.
- Helichrysum essential oil
Helichrysum stimulates the secretion of gastric juices that not only aid in food break down but also reduces digestive problems. The topical application serves as an anti-inflammatory agent. Rub two to three drops of the essential oil into the abdomen or on the infected region.
- Warm bath with Epsom salt
Warm baths help to soothe hemorrhoids. Sitz bath is an effective treatment for hemorrhoid. Take a warm bath for twenty minutes post every bowel movement, an addition of Epsom salt helps in alleviating the pain.
- Cold Compresses
Cold compress application for 15 minutes in the anal region helps to reduce the anus swelling. The cold compress helps to treat hemorrhoid effectively. Always wrap ice in a cloth or tissue before applying it to the infected area and never apply any frozen product directly on the skin.
- Always wear loose cotton clothing
Swapping polyester cloths with cotton underpants help to keep the anal area clean and dry and helps to reduce hemorrhoid symptoms. Avoid using fabric softeners and fragrant detergents to reduce irritation.
Toilet paper usage during hemorrhoid aggravates the hemorrhoid symptoms. Using wipes can not only help to keep clean but also reduce the skin irritation. Finding a wipe with soothing and anti-hemorrhoid ingredients like Aloe Vera or witch hazel can yield fruitful results.
How to Prevent Hemorrhoids Symptoms?
- Eat a high fiber diet especially plant-based fiber.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Regular exercising and avoid sitting for a long time helps to reduce hemorrhoid occurrence.
- Avoid delaying the bowel movement will reduce the water content from the stools.
- Spending more time in the toilet pressures the anal region hence avoid sitting in the toilet seat for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.
- If obesity is the hemorrhoid cause try losing weight for effective outcomes.
- Make dietary changes to increase the vein health and stool softening.
When to Seek Medical Help?
Consult a doctor if the following signs are seen:
- Bleeding and pain typically resolves in two or three days. Call a doctor if the symptoms last more than a week.
- Bleeding from hemorrhoids occur only due to bowel movements if rectal bleeding is seen at any point contact a practitioner at the earliest.
- If the color of the hemorrhoidal bleeding changes from bright to dark red contact the nearest healthcare provider without delay.
- If the hemorrhoidal symptoms aggravate even after trying home remedies rush to the nearest hospital for further aid.
Frequently Asked Hemorrhoid or Piles Doubts
Can hemorrhoids flare up again after they have already burst once?
– Hemorrhoid s are known to reappear even after predisposal if hygiene is not maintained, diet alteration with fiber enriched food and increased fluid intake improves the reappearance chances.
I am only 15 years old- is it a bad sign to get infected with hemorrhoids?
– It’s absolutely normal as hemorrhoids are not confined to any particular age group.
I had hemorrhoid that was bulging, but now I feel a shrunken, small harder lump under the skin. Is this normal?
– This can be the rectal cyst that can be treated with gentle cleansing and a sitz bath.
How can I keep my hemorrhoids from leaking and staining my clothing?
– Use thin feminine pads has proven to catch the leaks. This pad can be even used by men. all the need is to cut the pad into half and place it between the testicles and anus. No one will notice the pads as they are ultrathin.
Is there is any relation between going to the gym and hemorrhoids?
– Hemorrhoids signs are seen to increase if the breath is held for a long time. so try avoiding to hold breaths for a long time during workouts.
Can being overweight cause hemorrhoids?
– Yes, increased body weights put extra pressure on the rectal muscles aggravating hemorrhoids.