Essential oils for menopause relief: Menopause is a milestone in the life of women. It not only represents the end of monthly menses but also indicates fertility level decline. Many women start noticing the changes in their menstrual cycles in their 30s, but menopause usually occurs in the late 40s or early 50s. Some women experience menopause at an early age due to premature ovary failure or surgical removal of the uterus. A woman is said to have reached menopause if she doesn’t have her periods continuously for a period of 12 months.
The menopausal symptoms have no clear definitions, they are often confused with other ailments. If a woman has any of the below signs coupled with less or no period, then she may be postmenopausal or going through menopause:
- Loss of libido
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Irritability or mood swings
- Lack of concentration
- Memory loss
- Disturbance in sleep
- Weight gain around the abdomen
- Dry skin
- Hair thinning
- Growing of unwanted facial hair
- Increased loo visits
- Body and headaches
- Irregular menses cycles
These symptoms need to be monitored by a woman who in her 40s as menopause can affect the quality of life and health. Though hormone replacement therapy has proved to be an effective treatment for menopausal relief, but is not only found to be costly but also increases the risk of cardiac disease and cancer. A concentrated liquid containing volatile fragrance admixture from plants called ‘essential oil’ is seen to provide equal support for menopausal alleviation. They are available in ready to use cream and oil formulations.
Essential oils that can reduce menopausal symptoms
Lavender oil is famous for its soothing and calming effects. These oils have proven to decrease menopausal symptoms by increasing the sleep quality and improving the mood swings.
How to benefit:
- Add 5-10 drops of this oil to the diffuser or humidifier, the continuous stream of this scent plays a pivotal role in physical and emotional balance.
- Use 1-2 drops for massaging onto various pressure points like wrists, on the temples or behind the ears.
- Add 10 drops in the warm water bath and soak for 20-30 minutes before going to bed for a sound and relaxed sleep.
Clary sage essential oil
Clary sage is widely known for its medicinal uses. This is one of the best oil used for balancing hormones as it contains natural phytoestrogens. These estrogens protect the uterus from ovarian and uterine cancer. It decreases anxiety by lowering cortisol production, helps fight weight gain issues and reduces hot flashes. This essential oil also is seen to alleviate menses pain.
How to use:
- Rub 1-2drops of clary sage oil on back neck or feet to reduce hot flashes episodes.
- This oil can be added to diffusers or can be inhaled directly.
This essential oil cools the body and refreshes the mind. The menthol in this oil tricks the mind to think that it cools the body on the application. This essential oil helps to combat fatigue in the menopausal woman and improves concentration.
How to benefit:
- Direct inhalation.
- Addition of 5-10 drops to a diffuser.
- Mix 20 drops of this oil with 8 ounces of water and transfer it to a spray bottle. Use this mixture to gently mist yourself.
Note: Try to use this therapy before feeling extremely fatigued, as its easier to prevent than overcoming tiredness before its onset.
Roman Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile essential oil is widely used by the Egyptians to cure fever due to its cooling ability and nervous system soothing. This oil not only calms the mind but also reduces stress, skin problems, headaches and hot flashes thereby reducing sleep problems.
Chamomile, when used in combination with clary sage oil in the form of a cooling mist, is found to decrease hot flash episodes.
An extract of sage has proved to be effective in reducing night sweats and hot flushes as it contains estrogenic constituents that make it effective in balancing the hormone levels.
Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil is calming in nature. It plays a pivotal role in decreasing menopausal problems by not only eliminating mental fatigue but also reduces tension, anxiety, nervousness, stress, and exhaustion which creates a positive mindset.
How to use:
- Diffusing at home or office helps you to stay focused.
- Rub a few drops on your palm and inhale for immediate relief.
- Add a few drops to the warm bath to soak away tiredness and tension.
This oil consists of powerful antioxidants that have been used to cure many ailments of yesteryears. It helps in relieving digestive, respiratory and nervous problems. This is an exceptional oil for the menopausal woman as it helps in balancing hormones. Thyme oil aids in improving the progesterone production in the body which in-turn relieves stress, restlessness, and anxiety. Thereby helping the body relax. This essential oil can be added to a diffuser, inhaled directly from the bottle or can be added to the bath.
Geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil helps to improve dry skin in menopausal women. This oil also acts as an antidepressant which helps to improve mood swings and depression.
Cypress is a detoxifier that is excellent for relieving bloating and fluid retention. This oil is very effective in improving hormone balancing and also is known to soothe and calm menopausal women from hot flashes symptoms.
Citrus essential oil
Citrus essential oil is very beneficial for women in menopausal age. Research has found that when women inhale this oil they experienced less physical menopausal symptoms and their sexual desire increased. The anti-inflammatory properties of citrus oil help to relieve aches and pains woman suffer during this time.
Basil oil contains a constituent similar to estrogen hence it helps to maintain the estrogen levels in the menopausal women. This oil helps to regulate hot flashes and helps in relaxation.
How to benefit:
- Diluted basil oil can be applied to the feet or the back of the neck.
- It’s commonly used in aromatherapy as a mood enhancer.
Neroli essential oil
Its seen that post-menopausal women who inhaled neroli oil expressed increased libido, improved blood pressure and estrogen concentration. Neroli oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help to release aches and pains that come in the menopausal process.
Vitex-agnus castus oil
Vitex-agnus castus is a shrub whose fruits and seeds are used in medicine production. It’s leaves and berries are used in the oil making. Vitex has been consumed traditionally by many women related problems like female infertility, breast milk production increase, menopause, menstrual cycle irregularities and Placenta removal after childbirth. The oil extracted from the vitex leaf has proved to be more potent.
Ylang ylang essential oil
This oil improves menopausal mood swings and also sluggish blood circulation.
Risk factors to be considered
- Consult a doctor before starting the use of any essential oil, as they would suggest if the essential oil would affect any medications prescribed for menopausal women.
- Essential oils are dangerous if applied directly to the skin, so always dilute them with a carrier oil like coconut and jojoba oil. The recommended usage is one ounce of carrier oil with 10-12 drops of essential oil mix.
- A skin patch test is recommended for allergic reactions. So it’s is advised to undergo a patch test before starting the use of any essential oil.
- While using the oil spray make sure the area it is used in well ventilated.
Choose an essential oil depending on the menopausal symptoms which may vary through the day and of course over the month. Different essential oils are required to start a day and at night to relax and get a good sleep. Once an essential oil which suits you is selected use them regularly to wade menopausal stage.