Coconut oil has always been used for its innumerable benefits on the hair, healing scalp infections like dandruff being one of them. Using coconut oil for dandruff has been easy as well, in the form of massage oils, shampoos, and hair masks. What is the best way in which coconut oil can get rid of dandruff? Here is a list of DIY methods in which you can use it as an anti-dandruff remedy, so go on ahead and give them all a try to find out which way works best for you.
Table of Contents
How Can Coconut Oil Get Rid of Dandruff?
Before we try out coconut oil for dandruff and itchy scalp, it makes sense to find out just why it is a good remedy for the same. The chemical composition of coconut oil makes it good for fighting dandruff and keeping the scalp and hair healthy. This is precisely how it works.
Anti-fungal in nature – Coconut oil has got chemicals that make it anti-fungal. Since dandruff is caused by fungus, it can work against the growth and spreading of the fungus causing dandruff to go down substantially.
Moisturizes the hair – Coconut oil can also moisturize the scalp thereby preventing drying up and scaling of the scalp which happens to be yet another side-effect of dandruff. This controls the itching and irritation that are a result of dandruff.
Conditions the hair by getting rid of excessive sebum – Since it moisturizes the hair naturally, it can control the production of sebum and thereby causes a cleansing action on the follicles. This is yet another benefit it can have, over dandruff-inflicted hair.
Soothes inflammation and itching – Coconut oil is also anti-inflammatory in nature. This causes it to soothe the inflammation that occurs on the scalp as a result of dandruff and itchy scalp.
Nourishes the follicles – Coconut oil has got plenty of nutrients that can give your follicles the external nutrition that they need. This makes them fight dandruff and itchy scalp all by itself.
Raw Coconut Oil vs Virgin Coconut Oil
Which is Good for Hair?
When coconut oil is extracted, in the process, it is subjected to heat and other changes which make it lose some of its nutrients. Although virgin coconut oil retains most of the nutrients, raw coconut oil, which has not been processed is much more abundant in nutrients when compared with virgin coconut oil. Therefore it is beneficial to use raw coconut oil. However, virgin coconut oil is the next purest coconut oil in line when compared with the other, more purified versions.
Coconut Oil Scalp Treatment for Dandruff
Giving yourself a coconut oil massage before you shampoo your hair is one of the best methods to get rid of dandruff with coconut oil. It can be done in the following simple steps right at your home.
Step 1 : Take some coconut oil into a bowl and heat it slightly.
Step 2 : Using a cotton ball, rub it all over your scalp gently.
Step 3 : Massage it over the scalp for about a 10 minutes and leave it on for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 4 : Shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo made out of natural ingredients.
Step 5 : Repeat this for at least 2 to 3 times a week for coconut oil to work against dandruff.
10 Different Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Dandruff
Yet another effective means to fight dandruff with coconut oil is to use it in the form of a hair mask. Being an oil, it easily blends with many other natural anti-dandruff remedial ingredients with which it fights dandruff even better. Here is a list of 10 such coconut oil hair masks you can try out at home.
Coconut oil + Tea tree oil hair mask
Much like coconut oil, tea tree oil is also an anti-fungal agent that can fight dandruff and heal the scalp of itchiness and dryness. Here’s how you make a mask with coconut oil and tea tree oil and use it for your hair.
- Take some coconut oil and tea tree oil (in equal measures) into a bowl.
- Heat them both until they are warm.
- Use a cotton ball to apply these oils on your scalp.
- Leave it on for about a half an hour before you shampoo.
Coconut oil + Apple cider vinegar + Baking soda mask
Apple cider vinegar and baking soda are popularly used natural ingredients to fight dandruff because of their efficacy. Coconut oil enhances their anti-dandruff action while also acting as a vehicle to spread them onto the scalp.
- Take some coconut oil in a bowl and heat it.
- Add some apple cider vinegar (about two teaspoons) and baking soda (of about a teaspoon) to this.
- Mix it well so that a uniform mixture is formed and apply it all over your scalp.
- Leave it on for about a half an hour before you rinse it off.
Coconut oil + Aloe vera hair mask
Aloe vera is an age-old natural remedy for dandruff for its antiseptic and healing properties. Using it along with coconut oil can help with making the scalp moist and ridding it of not only dandruff but also itchy scalp and dryness eventually.
- Take some coconut oil into a bowl and heat it slightly.
- Add aloe vera gel to it and mix the two of them well.
- Apply it all over the scalp and leave it on for about a half an hour.
- Shampoo your hair with a safe, natural shampoo.
Coconut oil + Yogurt + Lemon juice mask
Yogurt and lemon juice work wonders in fighting dandruff together. Adding coconut oil to them, as in the hair mask below can only make it even more effective for the purpose.
- Take some yogurt into a bowl and squeeze the juice of a lemon or two into it.
- Add a few teaspoons of olive oil and mix them all up well until the final mixture is uniform.
- Apply it over your scalp and leave it on for about a half an hour before you shampoo your hair.
Coconut oil + Honey mask
Coconut oil and honey together can work wonders together in rendering a smooth and healthy scalp also working against dandruff. Here’s how you can use them together.
- Take some coconut oil into a bowl and heat it slightly until it gets warm.
- Add some honey to this and mix the two of them really well.
- Apply this mixture over your scalp and leave it on for about a half an hour.
- Shampoo your hair post that.
Coconut oil + Rosemary oil mask
Rosemary oil is one of the essential oils that is used to fight dandruff and itchy scalp for its anti-fungal properties. Here’s how you use them together as a hair mask for dandruff.
- Mix coconut oil and rosemary oil in equal proportions.
- Heat this slightly until it gets warm.
- Apply this over your scalp while it is still warm with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about a half an hour and shampoo post that.
Coconut oil + Avocado hair mask
Avocados are full of vitamin E and anti-oxidants that can not only fight dandruff but also act as a good nourishment for the scalp. Here’s how you use it with coconut oil in this hair mask.
- Peel avocados and make a paste out of the pulp.
- Heat some coconut oil and add it to the pulp.
- Make a paste out of the two and apply it over your scalp.
- Leave it on for about a half an hour and shampoo your hair.
Coconut oil + Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds with their antiseptic nature can naturally get rid of the dandruff and other scalp infections. Here is how you make a mask with coconut oil and fenugreek seeds.
- Soak Fenugreek seeds in water over night and grind them into a paste the next day.
- Add some coconut oil to this paste and mix the two of them well until they are uniform.
- Apply this all over your scalp and hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair after that.
Coconut oil + Egg yolk + Henna
Egg yolk is great for dandruff as it makes the scalp smooth, removing all the dryness and itching that is a result of dandruff. Along with that, it also fights the dandruff causing fungus. Henna along with its antiseptic properties which act against dandruff also acts as a base for coconut oil and egg yolk. Here is how you make this simple mask at home.
- Take some coconut oil and add egg yolk to this,
- Beat them together while adding henna to make it into a paste.
- Apply this paste all over your scalp and your hair strands.
- Wash it off with warm water and shampoo your hair.
Coconut oil + Olive oil + Lavender oil
Olive oil and lavender oil are essential oils that are both in their own terms great for fighting dandruff. A mixture of olive, coconut and lavender oils used occasionally as a hair mask or a massage oil can be great for the hair, especially for dandruff and itchy scalp.
- Mix coconut oil, olive oil and lavender oil in equal proportions.
- Heat this mixture until they are warm.
- Apply this all over the scalp and massage it for a few minutes before you leave it on for half an hour more.
- Shampoo your hair after you rinse the oils off your hair.
Coconut oil, being completely natural can have no side effects at all upon use on your hair. It can work as a good anti-dandruff oil on both dry and oily hair. However, get a patch test done on yourself just to make sure you have no allergies to it. For all the benefits it renders on the hair and for its effective and safe anti-dandruff action, coconut oil is an anti-dandruff remedy that is definitely worth a try.