Yeast infection is a stubbornly persistent condition that needs constant attention and care. Most of the time, it is difficult to completely heal it with just medication. Using natural remedies like essential oils for yeast infection can be greatly relieving and helpful for dealing with the condition. Among all the known essential oils, it has been found that using tea tree oil for yeast infection is highly beneficial for many of its healing properties for the infection. We explore in detail why and how we should be using this magic remedy for yeast infection here, so go on and give it a read before actually trying it out.
Table of Contents
What is a Yeast Infection?
Yeast infection is a fungal infection that is caused by a strain of fungus called as the ‘Candida Albicans’. While the fungus inhibits the body most of the time, it is in control because of the good gut bacteria that keeps it from infecting the body. When the number grows out of limits for one reason or the other, it leads to the yeast infection which is classified as the vaginal yeast infection, yeast infection of the mouth (thrush), yeast infection of the feet and other variations based on where it affects the skin. There is itching, irritation, redness and sometimes an inflammation in the areas affected by the infection.
Why Do We Use Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection?
The chemical composition of tea tree oil makes it a great natural remedy for yeast infection. This is what it can do to the affected areas upon regular use, bringing about considerable healing.
Anti-fungal because of Terpinen-4-ol – The chemical Terpinen-4-ol that is present in the tea tree oil makes it an anti-fungal. This helps in killing and stopping the growth of the Candida that causes the yeast infection.
Soothes itching and inflammation : Tea tree oil is anti-inflammatory in nature and Soothes the redness, itching and inflammation that comes along with the yeast infection. In short, it calms down the immune system’s activity at the infected area.
Astringent : It has the properties of an astringent which make it thoroughly cleanse all the bacteria at the infected site along with bringing about considerable healing.
Increases body’s natural ability to heal the condition : Tea tree oil has got nutrients and stimulants that penetrate the blood stream near the infected skin when rubbed on it and that helps in keeping the skin healthy increasing its natural ability to heal itself.
10 Ways to use Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection
Topical usage of tea tree oil can be done in various means, ten of which we have listed out here. It can be used in the form of a massage oil, concoction, with a carrier oil and many other generally used natural remedies for yeast infection.
1. Tea tree oil with Coconut oil
One of the most effective ways of using tea tree oil is with a carrier oil. A carrier oil like coconut oil not only makes sure that the tea tree oil dissolves completely in it and reaches the affected skin but also acts as an anti-fungal by itself. Here’s how you can use them both together.
Method 1 :
- Take some coconut oil (say, about 5 teaspoons) and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Swish this in your mouth in the form of a mouth wash for a few minutes.
- Spit it out and wash your mouth with water.
Method 2 :
- Take some coconut oil as a base (of about 5 teaspoons) and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Dip a cotton ball into it and apply it over the affected area.
- Leave it on for five to ten minutes and wash it off.
2. Tea tree oil and baking soda
Baking soda is a great antimicrobial agent that also works against candida effectively. Tea tree oil can be used as a base along with being a healing agent by itself in this remedy for yeast infection that we are going to make.
- Take a few teaspoons of tea tree oil.
- Add some baking soda powder to it.
- Mix the two of them well until a paste like consistency is formed.
- With the help of a cotton ball, apply this over the affected area.
- Wash it off with water after about 15 minutes to half an hour.
3. Tea tree oil and Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel is known for being a wonderful healing agent for just about any skin ailment, yeast infection being one of them. In this case, it also acts as a carrier for tea tree oil which is the actual medicine. This is how we use the two of them together.
- Take some aloe vera gel into a bowl.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to this and mix it well so that it is uniformly distributed into the gel.
- Apply this gel over the affected area and leave it on for about half an hour.
- Wash it off with warm water.
4. Tea tree oil with chamomile tea
Chamomile tea is yet another great anti-fungal agent that can fight by external as well as internal means. But how do we use it with tea tree oil? Here is how.
- Make tea out of chamomile herb.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to it such that it dissolves.
- Dip a cotton ball into this solution of chamomile tea + tea tree oil.
- Rub it over the affected area.
- Wash it off after a while.
5. Tea tree oil with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best anti-fungal agents there is, not just because it helps in healing the condition quickly but also because it can act as a Ph modulator, healing the skin further. Tea tree oil can render all of its benefits when used with apple cider vinegar in the following method.
- Take some apple cider vinegar into a bowl.
- Add some drops of tea tree oil into it.
- See to it that they dissolve well and with the help of a cotton ball rub this solution gently over the affected area.
- Wash it off with warm water after that.
6. Using a tea tree oil tampon or suppository
When you have vaginal yeast infection, using a tampon or suppository which helps in sustained release of the medicinal release of tea tree oil can be a great way to use it.
Tea tree oil tampons:
- All you have to do is pour a few drops of tea tree oil into a tampon and place it in your vagina.
- Leave it over night or for a few hours.
- Remove it and wash the affected area thoroughly.
Tea tree oil suppository:
- You can get tea tree oil suppositories in the market and if you don’t, it can be made at home by enclosing some tea tree oil in a gelatin capsule.
- Leave this suppository in your vagina overnight or for a few hours for it to work.
7. Tea tree oil with honey
Honey can be a great carrier for tea tree oil while also soothing and healing for the infection by itself. Here is how you use honey with tea tree oil for yeast infection.
- Take a few teaspoons of honey into a bowl.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to it and mix it well.
- Apply this over the affected area with your finger or a cotton swab gently.
- Leave it on for about half an hour and wash it off with warm water.
8. Tea tree oil with Alcohol
Alcohol can be yet another great solvent for tea tree oil as it allows it to reach the affected parts efficiently. Here is how you use this tea tree oil + alcohol solution for getting rid f your yeast infection.
- Take some alcohol (spirit) into a dropper bottle.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil and shake it well so that it gets mixed up.
- Add water to it so that it dissolves the alcohol and the tea tree oil solution and shake it further.
- Use it on the skin affected with yeast infection and rub it gently.
- Wash it off after about half an hour to an hour of leaving it on.
9. Tea tree oil with Lavender oil
Lavender oil, much like tea tree oil is a great anti-microbial oil that works well against skin infections like yeast infection. Upon using tea tree oil and lavender oil together, the action of the both of them can only be enhanced. Here is how you use them together with water as a solvent.
- Take some water into a hot pot and boil it.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil to this water.
- Fill this warm water into a dropper bottle and cool it down.
- After the solution has cooled down, drop a few drops on the affected areas and rub gently.
- You can also use this solution as a mouth wash.
10. Tea tree oil with garlic
Garlic has always been known for its anti-microbial properties and powerful astringent nature. This makes it heal many skin ailments, especially the stubborn ones like yeast infection. Using tea tree oil with garlic can be great for healing the condition quickly and effectively. Here’s how it’s done.
- Take some water and bring it to boil.
- Add crushed garlic cloves into this and boil it for some more time until the water is full of garlic essence.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil into this and see to it that it dissolves in it.
- After it cools down, fill the solution into a dropper bottle.
- Drop a few drops of this onto the affected area and rub it gently.
- It can show its healing affects upon regular use.
Precautions While Using Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection
While tea tree oil is safe for use being a natural agent, there are some dos and don’ts that are to be kept in mind when we use this remedy for yeast infection.
- Tea tree oil is harmful when we take it internally and can therefore never be used in the form of an internal medicine or consumed in any form. Even while we use it as a mouth wash, you should be careful not to swallow it.
- It is advisable that pregnant women do not use tea tree oil in any form at all as there is a possibility that it could cause adverse reactions. If there is no choice, you may use it after consulting your physician
Get yourself a patch test done on the non-infected areas of the body before actually using the remedy on the infected parts. If you notice that there is an increase in the redness or worsening of the symptoms, stop usage and consult a physician.
- Out of the usually used versions of the tea tree oil, there is a milder kind that is easily soluble in water. Using this can be much less harmful that the other stronger variants of the oil.
Upon making sure that all the precautions are taken care of, tea tree oil can be one of the most wonderful remedies for yeast infection that you are ever going to find. Try out these DIY methods of using it and find that out for yourself!