Sinusitis is one of the most common problems that affect the world population and it can get quite complicated if unattended. It can also lead to sinus infections and a mucus build-up that makes this worse. Treating sinusitis right at the initial stages can be a great way to prevent any other problems that it could give rise to. One of the most effective remedies for sinusitis is giving yourself a sinus rinse from to time at home. It can be quite easy and can prevent any bigger problems that can be caused by it. We elaborate on the whole nasal wash process here to give you an idea.
Table of Contents
What is nasal irrigation/sinus rinse?
Gaining a lot of popularity of late, nasal irrigation is a process in which you clean the sinuses surrounding the nose at home with special saline water that you make for the purpose. It can help you flush out the excessive mucus and any possible infections that often times get built up in the nasal cavities with some simple techniques and equipment. Nasal lavage, nasal douche are all the terms that are used for this same sinus rinse technique.
Does a sinus rinse work?
A sinus rinse or a nasal wash can work tremendously in healing the pain of sinusitis. Eventually, they can also reduce the inflammations of the sinuses and heal sinus infection which can sometimes be a cause for the sinusitis. It can give us a quick relief from the pain and the congestion by clearing the mucus and lowering the pressure around the nose. Let us take a look at all the benefits a sinus rinse can give us upon regular use.
Benefits of a saline rinse for sinusitis
Using a saline rinse can be a great idea to provide symptomatic relief for sinus. These are the reasons why a sinus rinse is beneficial for use over other sinusitis treatments.
- The nasal rinse solution that you use can flush out the sinuses which get congested with mucus a
nd this gives immediate relief from headaches and other aches that result from sinusitis. This is because the pressure is released upon the removal of congestion.
- By using the right kind of solution to rinse your nasal cavities, you can keep the walls of the nasal septa moisturized all the time. This can keep the cavities from getting infected with microbes.
- Giving yourself a nasal wash repeatedly can remove the bacteria and other microbes that sometimes cause sinus infection. You can also add a few drops of an anti-bacterial solution to the nasal rinse so that infections are kept at bay.
- This is a chemical-free way to clear your sinuses and therefore is preferred so that you can avoid the side effects of medicines.
- Sometimes during pregnancy, it gets difficult to use sinusitis meds continuously. In such cases, you can heal yourself effectively through the sinus rinse methods.
- A sinus rinse can also work when you are taking other medicines that can react with your sinusitis medicines and you cannot take them because of that reason.
- In many cases, you lose the capability to smell and taste to perfection with sinusitis, especially when it is chronic. Upon regular usage of a sinus rinse, you can notice that your sense of smell and taste improve by a great measure.
How to get yourself a sinus rinse at home
A sinus rinse can be easily done at home by yourself once you get the right equipment and make all the arrangements. So what kind of equipment is the best for nasal wash? We can use three kin sod equipments for the process.
- Neti pot
- Squeeze bottle
- Bulb syringe
For all the three equipment, we must first make the nasal wash solution. Let us look at how we make the solution before we elaborate the use of the individual equipments.
Making the salt water nasal rinse solution
We use a salt water (a saline) solution for rinsing our nasal cavities with the equipment that we mentioned above. And therefore, the very first thing to do to give yourself a sinus rinse is to make the salt water solution. A nasal wash solution can be made at home in the following simple steps.
Here is what you are going to need to make the salt rinse solution:
A cup of water (distilled water or boiled water)
A teaspoon of kitchen salt
A pinch of baking soda
Two-three drops of essential oil (optional).
Step 1 : The first thing we should do is get the water that we are going to use to make the solution. For this, buying distilled water is the preferable means. If you do not have access to distilled water, boil tap water at home for about ten minutes and use this before atleast 6 to 8 hours so that it does not get contaminated.
Step 2 : Now we make the salt water solution with this water and with regular table salt. For making the salt water solution, use one teaspoon of salt for a cup of water as a measure. Make sure that the salt completely dissolves in the water before you actually use the solution.
Step 3 : We would recommend you to add a pinch of baking soda to the solution just so that that it can work better in cleansing the sinuses. A few drops of anti-bacterial essential oils are fine as well, especially if you have bacterial infections in the case of sinus infection.
How to use a neti pot for sinus rinse
A neti pot is a small pot in the shape of a tea pot (only a little more elongated) that can be used for cleaning your sinuses. It can be bought from a drug store or a regular store, as it is available nearly everywhere lately. Using a neti pot is one of the most effective means for a nasal rinse. It can be done in these steps that we’ve listed out here.
Step 1 : Sanitize the neti pot with boiling water or by placing it in boiling water such that it is completely devoid of germs as we use it for nasal rinse.
Step 2 : Fill it with the nasal rinse solution that we’ve made and close the lid.
Step 3 : Take the neti pot in one of your hands and lean over a sink.
Step 4 : Tilt your head to an angle and pour this nasal rinse water from the tip of the neti pot into the upper nostril.
Step 5 : The water will now come out of the lower nostril after getting flushed out. Blow out your nose so that the nasal cavities are completely cleaned out of the solution and the mucus.
Step 6 : After you’re done doing this cleansing on one side, stand still for a while and repeat the same procedure on the other side.
How to use a bulb syringe for sinus rinse
A bulb syringe is much like a neti pot except that the material is usually plastic and the spout of the syringe is a bit more pointed and sharp. Unlike the neti pot, we will have to press the bulb syringe for the water to come out of it. Here is how you use it for a nasal wash.
Step 1 : Sanitize the bulb syringe with boiling water by washing it with water or placing the syringe in a vessel of boiling water.
Step 2 : Fill it with the saline solution such that it reaches up to just a little lower than the tip.
Step 3 : Tilt your head as you have done with the neti pot and pour the water into your upper nostril by squeezing the bulb.
Step 4 : Flush out the water from the lower nostril.
Step 5 : After a while repeat the same thing with the other nostril.
How to use a squeeze bottle for sinus rinse
A squeeze bottle is much like a bulb syringe and is used in a similar method to that of neti pot and bulb syringe but the tip is wider and shorter. We should squeeze the bottle for the water to come out of it.
Step 1 : Sanitize the bottle as we have done with the neti pot and the bulb syringe and pour the nasal rinse solution into it leaving a little space between the lid and the water.
Step 2 : Lean over a sink and tilt your head to an angle.
Step 3 : Pour some of the nasal wash solution into the upper nostril and it comes out of the lower nostril after flushing out the sinuses.
Step 4 : Repeat this procedure with the other nostril.
Precautions you should take during nasal irrigation
Sinus rinse with a neti pot, bulb syringe or a squeeze bottle is a natural means of getting rid of your sinus pains and infections. However, you should do it right so that it works best. Here are some things that you should know before you begin the nasal wash as a regular ritual.
- How often can we use the salt water nasal rinse? : Using the nasal rinse every day is safe as per research but using it way too many times a day causes your nasal sinuses to eventually dry up and is detrimental to the natural mucus producing layer. This leads the nasal cavities to be devoid of mucus and that can cause infections and other problems. It is better if you reduce using it too much once you are healed of your sinusitis and use it only once in a while.
- If you are getting additional headaches when you use the nasal wash, it could probably mean that you may not be using it the right way. So get guidance immediately or follow the set of instructions with much more care and attention.
- Make sure that everything that you use that is related to the nasal rinse is absolutely clean and germ-free. It could cause infections if you don’t make sure of this.
- A ‘drowning’ feeling can be caused in the initial stages of the nasal wash but once you get used to using the equipment, it gets a lot easier.
With such an easy relief as the nasal rinse for Sinusitis available right at your home, it is much easier to deal with the condition now. For all its benefits, a sinus rinse is definitely worth trying out for everyone suffering from sinusitis pains or sinus infections. Do let us know how these nasal wash techniques worked for you.